🍁•nine - the dysfunctional family•🍁

"As you know, my family consists of four people ; my father, my mum, my older brother and I."

"We lived happily, I had a happy childhood, you can say. Having a father who works from 9 o'clock to 6 in the afternoon and a mum who doesn't have a job. A brother who annoys me all the time. My life was typical but it changed when I was ten. My father started to come home late, way more late than usual. He then claims he had gotten a big project so my mum didn't mind."
I said as I stopped, just as the stewardess asked us what we would want to eat ; chicken or fish.

"Chicken, please." I said as Edward chose the same as me.

She nod her head, smiled then left. Edward looked at me, wanting me to continue.

"And usually, when you get new project, you'll be richer, right? That happened to us but he didn't give us a single penny. Not even a little. And he rarely came home, my mum tends to get worried about him - she wouldn't show it but I could see it in her eyes. My brother then would skip school just to go smoke, he will always get caught and he does, he will always promise not to do it again. My brother was three years older than me but we were still close, you know."

"At night, I would always sleep late just to look at the stars out my window. I like thinking that I could live in outer space, where there will much space for everyone so that people won't actually beg for space. I knew this when my brother broke up with his first girlfriend as he told me that she begged for space. One night, I heard a noise downstairs." I said as a small chuckle left my lips.

"I'm still not sure if the noise was from my father and his scandal, or my mum who was sobbing in her room nor from my brother's room - from his TV. It was so noisy. I went back to my room and locked the door. I placed a pillow on my fucking ear to block the noise but I couldn't block the noises in my head, I didn't thought my demons would have came for me at young age.

When I woke up, I could hear my parents yelling at each other. As time passed.., I got used to it. The noise. I tend to ignore it then, I was too lazy to pay attention - I guess a part of me had died then."

"My brother explained to me on what was going on and he told me that our parents might go on separate ways. He then promised me that when he graduates, he'll find a good job and I'll live with him. I smiled, though I didn't trust him. He was never a man of his words. Just like when he promised my mum that he'll stop smoking. He just never stopped." Chuckling again, I fixed my wrist watch.

"So when my father confessed to my mum that he now loves his scandal, they went through a divorce. He moved to Melbourne and he left the house to us. My brother got pissed so he would rarely come home and I tried focusing on my studies even more since. My mum got a job at the local mall as she tried to raise us. My father would give us money every month. He still does.
I guess my mum went numb, she started bringing men home at night and would push them out the next morning. I then graduated school and my brother was long gone."

"Time flew too fast. Just as I graduated, my mum told me that she was getting married with another man, she claimed that she now loves hims and she'll be leaving me, a seventeen year old kid in that house alone. She actually left and she fucking left. I don't know where the hell she is now but I wouldn't mind it if she's happy because I guess we're all selfish when it come in terms of our happiness. Everyone wants to be happy." I said, looking down.

"A few months after I graduated, Jonas asked me to be his. I then left the house and stayed with him for three years. I already had my job then and would pay half of the rent and when I found out he was cheating, it kind of reminded me of my dad. I wanted to move out. When I chose the house, my father gave me money to actually buy it. I didn't ask for it but he gave me the money. So, I accepted it and bought the house." I said, looking at him.

"And now I'm here, meeting him. The last time I saw him was when I was sixteen. I'm twenty one now. I don't even know if he still looks the same but I guess I'm about to." I said as our food came. Edward held my hand before pecking my forehead, ruffling my hair. "You've been through so much," he said.

"I'm so proud of you."

***

ill publish next chapter tomorrow, so stay tuned. 🍁