Part 18

***A/N: Zoie was a dog that I had when I was growing up and that is exactly what happened when we picked her up at the shelter. As far as Shira, she is the pittie that I own now and she is the light of my life. The things that happen with them are some of the things that have actually happened. They are my muses and I love them both.

RIP: Zoie 2002-2015***

"Alright kids, let's go get your dogs!" Thomas called cheerily, getting out of the patrol SUV and taking a survey around the parking lot.

"Finally! My Father is petrified of dogs... He will stay far away now!" Kevin grabbed Edd's hand and walked him in. The receptionist greeted them and they told her what they were looking for. Kevin wanted a larger dog, relatively young but not a puppy while Edd was just happy with anything. He looked through the kennels until he found a black, brown, and white rot/pit mix with a note on the kennel. "My name is Zoie and I know 'Sit!'..." he read aloud and the dog immediately sat down and barked. "I found her!" he called to the worker.

Edd chuckles warmly and gives Kevin a bright gap toothed smile. "She's so cute! You both look like you'll bond for life! Hello Zoie!" He coos as he bends down to pet her through the kennel.

"Your turn, babe. Go find yours. I'm gonna get her out and then get some food and toys and such..."

Edd looks around the shelter for the perfect dog for him. His eyes are immediately drawn to a trembling brown blanket hiding in the far corner of one of the puppy filled kennels. He moves closer and discovers that the blanket houses a terrified, furry, brown face "Aww. Hello little guy!" He moves around to the other side to get a better look at the puppy but it grabs the blanket and scurries to the opposite side of the cage. "Oh, don't run! I won't hurt you."

The receptionist chuckles at the scene in front of her. "Oh, that's Shira. She's terrified of everything. You should see what happens when children are around. She turns into a nervous mess!" she giggles.

"Shira?" Edd gets down on his knees and gently extends a hand through the slits. Shira huddles back into the corner while a near identical puppy barrels forward and climbs over the rest so that it can lick and bite his fingers. "Well, hell- OW!" He instantly draws his hand back and cradles it against his chest.

"No! Bad Luna! Go sit down!" the receptionist commands but the dog begins to yip and make an odd sound at the woman. "Right back at ya, young lady! Now sit!" The dog yips back a response and turns her head with an attitude before purposefully peeing on another pup. "Dammit Luna stop it!"

Edd giggles at the two, not noticing the shaking puppy timidly approach him. He feels a soft lick against his knee and looks down. "Hello Ms. Shira! Have you decided to come out of hiding?" The puppy looks up at him with large golden eyes and makes a strange gurgling sound before hiding her face under the blanket. "That's not a typical dog sound, Little Miss Shira" he giggles. "I think I want her. She looks like she'll warm up over time."

"You sure you don't want Luna? I'll give her to you for free. Actually, I'll pay you to take her!" Luna begins barking and snarling at the woman.

"It looks like you two get along too well for me to take her."

The woman sighs and nods "She's actually my dog. I just keep her in here since she needs playmates while I'm at work" she admits sadly. "You can still take her if you want. All she eats are carrots and peanut butter balls. And her favorite toy is an empty water bottle." Edd laughs at the woman's desperation and at the puppy barking at her from inside the kennel.

"I'll see how well Shira fairs in the home by herself, I may get her a playmate her age" he says as he opens the kennel and reaches for Shira. He sets her on the linoleum floor next to Kevin and she gives him the saddest look imaginable and begins to shake. "I found the puppy I want, Kevin!" Edd says proudly.