Part 21

Meanwhile in the hospital room, Kathleen rushes to the officer's bedside. "Thomas? Are you feeling okay?" she asked, her eyes full of worry.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. That asshole just got a good shot in on me. I'll get him next time" Thomas says with a dismissive wave of his hand.

"You're not going after him again Thomas. You were almost killed!"

"Kath, it's my job to protect and serve. I gotta protect everyone, especially you. I'd rather get shot over and over again than have him hurt you guys" Thomas reasoned.

"I know but I don't want to see you hurt by that monster again... Promise me you'll be more careful next time."

"I will be as careful as I can be. I promise..." Thomas grabs her hand, bringing her close enough to grab her chin and kissing her lightly.

Kathleen gently cups his cheek as she kisses him back. "I care about you, Thomas. I just want to see you and everyone else safe."

"Don't worry, everything will be okay. I care about you too much to lose you" Thomas lies back with a tired sigh.

Kathleen smiles and strokes his face. "Get some rest. I'll go take the boys home then I'll come back."

"You don't have to, I'm having Dante brought up and I know you have work tomorrow. I won't stop you if you want to though..." Thomas smiles as the door opens and Kevin and Edd walk in with Dante. "Your boss left him with us, he got a call to go back to the station" Kevin explained.

Kathleen comes up and hugs both boys before pushing them towards Thomas' bed. "Hello officer Thomas, how are you feeling?" Edd asks timidly.

"I'm fine, I'll be better once I'm out of here but your mother did a good job patching me up. I should be out of here in no time" he called Dante up on the bed to lie down with him.

"Would you boys like for me to take you both home?" Kathleen asks. "I'm fine with staying or going. Which would you like to do Kevin?"

"I want to go home," Kevin said plainly. Thomas beckoned him over and whispered "In my truck is all of the weapons we practiced with today. Shoot to hurt, not to kill, okay?"

"Got it" Kevin nodded.

"Ready boys?" Kathleen herds them into the car and drives back to the Vincent residence.

"Kevin? May I ask what Thomas said to you back there?" Edd whispers as they pull out of the parking lot.

"Yeah, hold on. Ma! Is Thomas' truck at Edd's? You have his keys?" Kevin asked quickly.

"I believe so, yes. Why?"

"I need to get some stuff out of it..." Kevin sighed and leaned back, grabbing Edd's hand. "It's gonna be okay, promise..."

"What's in there? What do you two have planned Kevin?" Edd asks worriedly. "I don't want you doing anything dangerous..."

"Things that I don't want my father to get are in the truck, I wanna get them out" Kevin said sternly.

"Are they weapons?" Edd asks quietly.

Kevin leaned over and kissed Edd on the cheek "Just some to protect us."

Edd sighs and nods knowing that he won't be able to talk Kevin out of whatever he had his mind set on. "Alright. Just be careful with them. Does your mother know about them?"

"She will... Thomas has a bunch of different weapons he is training me with. Shoot to injure, not kill" he repeated.

"As long as you are trained and can handle them, I suppose I cannot argue against you having them" Edd sighs, still not liking the idea at all.