Part 23

Kevin immediately looked in Edd's direction when he heard him cry out and fall to the floor, holding his shoulder. Looking to the man that has made his life hell for the last few months, he sent another wave of volts through Charles' body while cursing his existence. He stopped shooting after the third round and walked up to him with a curt "Fuck you!" before connecting his foot to Charles' strong jaw, effectively knocking him out as the police stormed in, followed in closely by his mother.

"Where is he?! I'll kill that pig-headed son of a bitch!" Kathleen Barr stormed in and went straight for her son, crying. "Are you okay? Oh my god, I'm so sorry I left. I should have stayed here with you. I'm so sorry, baby boy!"

"Ma, stop. It's okay, I don't blame you" he said absently as they were escorted out of the house. Kevin frantically searched around for Edd, he needed to make sure that he was alright.

Edd clutches his shoulder and tries to stay strong in front of Miriam. "Mama..."

"It's okay baby, it's okay. I love you" Miriam balls up a shirt and applies pressure to the wound. Edd whimpers and tries to hug his mother but is suddenly surrounded by police and paramedics.

"Stay still, sir, you're bleeding. We need to assess your wounds" a deep voice commands as he's carted downstairs and packed away in an ambulance.

"Kevin...?" he calls as the doors close and he's surrounded by a bright light and unfamiliar faces.

"Remove his shirt and prepare the anesthesia. It looks like the bullet is still in there" Edd's heart begins to pound in his ears and his vision becomes blurry.

"I'm right here, Eddward. It's okay, I promise it'll be okay" Miriam's voice sounds through her son's fogging mind.

"M-mother... Mom... It hurts..." he whimpers before the anesthesia sets in and renders the teen unconscious.

*@*

Michael Vincent was partway through a very delicate surgery when his partner came in and started to take over. "What the hell are you doing, Rodgers?! This is my patient-" he started before he was interrupted.

"You are needed elsewhere right now... Your son is here, in the ER, with a gunshot wound to his shoulder." Michael felt his blood go cold before boiling over with anger. With a curt 'thank you' he cleaned up and ran to the ER room that housed his family. Once he got down to the ER, he noticed Kevin and Kathleen in the waiting room and Kevin seemed pissed. "Kevin! Kathleen!" he called out.

"Michael! Thank God, you're here! Edd is in room 3F!"

"Why are both of you out here?"

"They said since we are not family, we have to wait..." Kevin gritted out. Michael scoffs and pulls them along to Edd's room.

Miriam brushes her son's hair out of his face and sighs. Edd groans a little and stirs around but doesn't wake. Michael bursts into the room, quickly followed behind Kevin and Kathleen. "Michael! What are you doing?! You can't go around slamming doors in here!"

"Woman, not today! What happened!? Who shot my son? Was it that bastard? I'll kill him..." Michael started pacing back and forth, muttering to himself.

"Would you calm yourself please!? Eddward is trying to rest!" Miriam hissed as Kevin walked to the other side of the bed and gently held his hand, trying to avoid the wires and IV lines.

Edd stirs awake from all the commotion. His cerulean eyes squint as they try to focus on the shadows surrounding him. A soft groan emanates from his throat as he turns his head towards Kevin. "Hey, he's waking up!" Kevin called out to his mother and Miriam. "Hey baby, we're here for you. Open your eyes for me. Please?"