Chapter 11: The Winter Formal

Friday, December 16

It was already December; the middle of December, and in about a week it would be Christmas. It was the last day before winter break and the only way to celebrate was being at the dance--the Winter Formal.

Normally Andy wouldn't want to go. Getting dressed up in a suit he'd probably never, ever wear again? Please. -Insert eye roll here-. But this year was different. He had a date; Carolyn. He was determined to make this night one of the best in her life. Especially since most of her life had been pretty cruddy.

At least now she was away from her crazy dad. She seemed way happier living with CC and his parents. Andy thought.

He finished buttoning the last button on his suit jacket. It was black and he wore black skinny jeans. Under his jacket he wore a navy blue button down and a black and blue tie. He checked his dresser to make sure his corsage for Carolyn was still there. Good, he thought. His hair was how it usually was; straightened with his bangs covering his right eye. He finished up by applying just the right amount of eyeliner to make his eyes pop.

He heard a honk outside. He went to his room and looked out the window. A stretch limo was parked in the street. From the peep hole on the top, Ashley’s head poked out and he yelled, “ANDY SIX, GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE!” Andy chuckled and ran downstairs with corsage in its little box.

“I'll be back by midnight.” he told his parents and left. Inside the limo was everyone except CC, Kelly, and Carolyn.

As if he could read Andy's mind, Jinxx said. “We're going to pick them up next.”

“Who rented the limo?” Andy asked.

“Me.” Ashley said with pride.

When they got to their house, Andy was starting to feel nervous. Would Carolyn like the corsage? Would she hate it? He swallowed down his insecurities and opened the limo door. He walked up to the door and knocked.

In a matter of seconds, CC opened it. “Hey, man. Carolyn will be right out. She's just finishing up.”

Andy managed to smile despite his nervousness. “Cool.” he said then scratched the back of his neck.

“You're nervous aren't you?” CC asked.

“Psh… what makes you think I'm nervous?” Andy asked.

“Because you were scratching the back of your neck,” CC pointed out. “You only do that when you're nervous.” He explained.

Andy cracked, “Alright I'm nervous, okay? What if Carolyn doesn't like the corsage I got her? What if she actually didn't want to go to the dance with me and just said yes because she wanted to be nice? What if-”

CC cut Andy off by slapping him across the face. “Thanks. I needed that.” Andy said, returning back to normal and rubbing his now aching cheek.

The sound of clacking high heels caused him to look up the stairs. Coming down the stairs was Carolyn. She was dressed in a light blue, strapless dress that came a few inches above her knees. The dress was tight around her torso and ruffly once it was past her waste. And she was wearing black high heels. Her hair was its usually wavy but was in a half up 'do.