Chapter 10

HARRY'S POV

I know I should give her privacy but I'm too scared to leave her alone.  I don't want her to have to deal with any tears she has left to cry by herself so I hover awkwardly, sitting on the bed in my black suit as I watch her pull on a conservative black dress and point toe pumps.

Liv's been trying so hard in the last week to be more open with me, telling me more of her thoughts than she has for the whole time I've know her, however today is different.

Today, she is reclusive, somber and practically mute.

She pulls her hair up into a ponytail in front of the mirror in the closet and tries for a third time to tie a black ribbon into a bow, her shaking hands failing her.

"Fuck!" She grunts in frustration.

I get up and stand behind her, silently holding out my hand and taking the silk from her. I bite the corner of my mouth as I quickly tie it around her hair tie and place my hands on her shoulders.

She looks at the floor and mumbles a "thank you."

I lick my lips and watch her face intently in the mirror for any and every indication of how she is feeling that I can decipher but there's too much going on in her head. 

"We have to go, love."  I say cautiously and my heart hurts as I watch her take in a shaky breath and sigh.

I tie my black paisley silk scarf I know she loves so much into a single knot around my neck, letting the ends hang into the open collar of my shirt and run my ring clad hand through my hair before slowly spinning Liv around to face me.   My finger hooks under her chin to force her to look up at me.

"It's going to be a shit day, darling, but you will get through it.  And i'll be right beside you the whole time."  I promise her, deciding not to sugar coat the fact her best friend's funeral is going to be one of the worst days of her life.

I watch her swallow and her blue eyes bore into mine, begging me to give her the strength she needs.  I take her hand in mine and interlace our fingers before I kiss her gently, careful not to mess up her makeup.

"I won't let go of your hand," I vow and she nods.

I take her black bag from on top of the dresser and hand it to her before I pull her towards my desk where I grab my sunglasses and lead her out the door, hand in hand.

We pile into the car waiting for us at the top of the driveway to avoid any photographers lurking around. 

Liv has been silent the entire thirty minute drive to the church where Emma's parents are parishioners and I do my best to support her, kissing the top of her hand in mine and squeezing it every time I hear a little sigh leave her lips.

It's a gloomy, grey London day and we are five minutes away when she finally turns to me, fear blazing in her tired eyes. 

"Harry, I don't want to go."  She says desperately and irrationally, panic rising in her voice and she grabs hold of the lapel of my jacket with her free hand.

"My love, you have to, it'll be ok." I try and calmly tell her, holding onto her shoulder as she shakes her head, not ready to face the reality of saying goodbye. 

"I'm right here," I tell her as the car slows and her breathing gets quicker.

"Promise, you won't let go." She begs and I kiss her forehead.

"I promise, baby."

The car stops in front of the church and we shuffle out, Liv smoothes the front her dress and just as she takes in a deep breath to prepare herself for the horrible day ahead we are blinded by a flash in our face.