Chapter 4: Investigation begins

"Good morning," Hermione greeted flatly as she ascended the stairs and stopped at the third floor landing.

"Morning," Harry returned while he leaned against the wall and rubbed his eyes. "How'd you sleep?"

"You're joking, right?" Hermione replied despondently.

"Yeah, it's been quite some time since either of us has slept here, hasn't it?" he said, as he smiled fondly up the crooked stairwell.

"You know our inability to sleep has nothing to do with where we are," she sighed, leaning up against the wall next to him.

"Yeah, maybe." Harry shrugged noncommittally, knowing full well she was right. "But I'm sure that Ron's snoring still had something to do with it."

A small smile tugged at the corner of Hermione's mouth. "Yeah, maybe in your case then. Speaking of, where is Ron?"

"That's who we're waiting on," Harry informed her, jerking his thumb toward the closed bathroom door.

"He's taking quite a long time, even for a shower," Hermione commented.

"You know how he is before coffee," Harry smiled. "So, uh, where's Aurelian?"

"He's downstairs. Molly's getting him cleaned up. He got rather sticky with the oranges he had at breakfast." Hermione fidgeted, still rather uncomfortable in her thoughts of the boy.

"You two have already eaten then?"

"Yeah… He didn't sleep well either. He… He got frightened in the night and I had to move up to the twins' old room and sleep in the other bed so he wouldn't be alone." She swallowed hard and anxiously examined her fingernails to avoid Harry's gaze. "So… what did Robards say about you taking on a secret investigation?"

"Nothing really," he answered with a shrug.

"Of course. Who would question you?" Hermione rolled her eyes. "What did he say when you specifically asked for my assistance?"

"Again, nothing. Hermione, it's not that uncommon for us to work together."

"While that's true, you usually only ask for testing or paperwork."

"Yes, and while that's true, you're still the best they've got in the evidence and investigation division, not to mention, my best friend. I assure you that it doesn't look strange that I'm seeking you out."

"How's Ron taking it?" Hermione inquired.

"He's a bit sour that he can't work with us, but it can't be helped. While I can work with you, and he can work with you, Ron and I working together would stick out. His work is general crime, not chasing dark wizards. If Robards, or anyone, saw the three of us working on a secret case, there would be panic," Harry reasoned.

"I know, I just hate leaving him out is all," Hermione explained. "I know. I know," she said once she glanced at Harry. "It's not like he's left out. We'll fill him in. I just know that I'd hate to be there, on the same floor, a few offices down, and unable to help."

"Oh, he'll help. Just not directly. Damn it, what's taking him so long? I need a shower too and if he doesn't hurry, we're going to be late," Harry grumbled before pounding on the bathroom door impatiently. "What are you waiting for anyway? You're already dressed," he said as he glanced at Hermione's cream-colored shirt and grey pencil skirt.

"It's the only bathroom here, Harry. I need to use the loo," Hermione chuckled.

"Oh… right. Merlin, this is why it's nice to live alone."

"I understand completely."

The bathroom door finally opened and Harry and Hermione straightened up.