Chapter 11: Tears, Explanations, and Laughter

"Hermione?" Harry called uncertainly when he heard a small sob from the kitchen. He glanced at Malfoy and stood up. "Hermione?" he called again as he entered the kitchen and slowly walked over to the table. "You alright?"

Hermione nodded and stifled another small sob. "Yeah… I just… It's just bit much."

"Yeah…" Harry agreed sadly.

"Harry, I'm so sorry!" Hermione's outburst took Harry completely by surprise.

"For what?"

"It was my fault. Twice. Twice I could have killed her and I didn't," she cried wretchedly. "You, Luna, Fred, Malfoy… you wouldn't have died if it weren't for me."

Draco looked up when he overheard Hermione speak and listened closely to the rest of the conversation.

"Hermione, that's ridiculous," Harry said in disbelief. "It wasn't her fault. She did everything she could. I'm sure I would have made all the same decisions myself. She didn't do anything wrong. Nothing was her fault, and even less your fault. You had nothing to do with any of it."

"She's me, Harry," she reminded him.

"Yes, she's you, but you're not her. You didn't make any of those decisions. And even if you did, there were no bad decisions. So stop," Harry insisted. "You can't take credit for any of that. But, if you're going to try to take credit for anything, then take credit for saving everyone. It was her that sent Aurelian back here. It's because of that decision that none of those people are going to have to die at all."

Hermione nodded while trying to restrain her tears.

"No. Don't just nod. I want you to really believe it," Harry pressed.

Hermione nodded again. "I know… you're right. I'm sorry. You can go back to the living room. I'll get the-"

"No, I'll get the tea. You just sit down for a minute," offered Harry.

"No, it's fine. I can-"

"Sit," Harry commanded. Hermione snorted a small chuckle and obediently stayed seated while Harry moved about the kitchen. Harry had grown so much over the years and it never failed to surprise her. When she looked at him, she could still remember the small eleven-year-old boy with a bit of an attitude, a streak of defiance, and a thirst to prove himself. That boy was now twenty years old and had become a steady and patient leader. Well… not always patient, but he had improved on that a lot. He no longer felt the need to prove himself and his streak of defiance had morphed into a desperate desire to pursue justice. He was strong and commanding in a way that people truly respected.

"Sugar… sugar…" Harry chanted as he spun around looking for the sugar bowl.

Hermione stood up and walked to the counter behind him. She reached past his arm and placed the sugar bowl on the tray. "You set it down near the toaster."

"I knew that," he joked. Hermione smiled softly and walked with Harry back into the living room.

"Sorry about that," Hermione apologized to Malfoy.

"No, it's alright," he replied. Hermione looked at him curiously. She had expected him to either say something cocky or derisive, or say nothing, but he hadn't said a single cutting thing the entire day. Well, with exception of being uptight with her earlier in the day about not being able to see Aurelian. She quickly pushed the thought aside. She had enough to think about without adding that to it.

"So where do we start?" Harry asked.

"Pansy," Draco answered. "If we're right in thinking that she was killed and it was her blood on my wall when I was attacked, then she was the first known victim in this whole thing."