Chapter 29: Price of the Nonaligned

Draco and Harry walked down the long dirt lane in silence. Though they were getting used to working with one another, things were still rather uncomfortable between them. They walked in step, but with a fair distance between them, both with their hands buried deep in their pockets. Draco looked down at the tall grass lining the road to avoid staring into the setting summer sun. Harry spent his time gazing around at their surroundings, as he had never before been to the area. Despite his company, Harry considered it an enjoyable walk. The view was beautiful as they were in the center of a large grassy moor and the setting sun cast orange and golden rays over the hilly terrain. He had never considered it before, but it seemed like a perfect place for wizards to live. There was plenty of space to fly brooms without fear of being seen.

Just as they made their way to the top of the large hill, the Parkinson Family Estate came into view. As Harry had expected, it was a mansion nearly the size of Malfoy Manor, but even in the distance it looked more welcoming. He thought that, perhaps, Malfoy Manor only felt foreboding because of the events he knew had taken place there.

The Parkinson Estate was constructed of light brown stone with a dark roof. As Harry got closer, he began studying the unique gardens surrounding it and the smaller details, such as the white lattice windows and black shutters. The style of the home made him believe that it had been there for a couple centuries, but it was in such wonderful condition that it looked like it could have been built only the week before. Again he was astonished by the preserving powers of magic.

"You ready?" Draco asked as they walked through the large, wrought iron gates.

Harry nodded. He glanced at Draco when they took the final step up to the front door. Harry took the heavy brass knocker in his hand and knocked three times. He clasped his hands in front of him. It looked like a casual stance, but having gotten to know Harry more, Draco realized that in that position, with his hands in front, rather than behind him, his wand was close and easily accessible, if needed. Harry felt Draco studying him and returned Draco's smirk. For two people who considered themselves quite different, they seemed to have a pretty keen understanding of each other.

The door opened suddenly and Harry and Draco's expressions returned to those of proud men on business. Harry very quickly studied the man in front of him. He had seen him before, but never up close. Mr. Parkinson was a bit of a portly man. He was not overly obese, but his belly was quite prominent the way he held his shoulders back with his hands clasped behind him. His stance, Harry believed, combined with his staid expression, was meant to be intimidating. The stance did not seem to fit the man's personality, but only because his formidable front was belied by the softness of his face and his deep smile lines.

"Mr. Potter," Mr. Parkinson greeted stiffly. The moment the door had opened, his eyes had fallen upon Harry. As unperturbed as the man tried to appear, his tension could still be felt. Harry Potter, after all, was an intimidating man in name alone. To stand before him was even more unsettling. Even in his casual state, Harry's piercing green eyes were filled with strength. His presence was far more intimidating than Mr. Parkinson's when he tried.

After a quick study, Mr. Parkinson finally looked at the man to Harry's left and his eyes widened in surprise. "Draco…" he breathed. His brows knit together with concern as he studied the young man he had known for so many years with wary curiosity.

"I'd like to thank you, Mr. Parkinson, for agreeing to see us this evening," Harry said formally.

"Yes, of course," Mr. Parkinson responded, his eyes lingering on Draco for another second. "Please, come in."

Mr. Parkinson stepped to the side and opened the door wide. Harry and Draco entered and inclined their heads as they passed him. Harry took a moment to quickly scan his surroundings; a precaution that had long ago become a habit. They stood in a large entrance hall that was approximately the size of a small ballroom and it was furnished just as elegantly. Harry, through his career, had seen the inside of many homes, quite a few of them belonging to families as wealthy as the Parkinsons, and was no longer impressed by the grandiosity of them. His look around was solely for safety purposes; he could never be too careful. He noted the staircase to his left, the two doors and a hallway to his right, and the double doors in front of him that led to a courtyard. They were both points of possible danger and emergency escape. However, he did notice in his quick assessment, that the Parkinsons' home felt much warmer and lived in than many other stately houses he had visited.