Chapter 25: Fighting for Position

Draco stood at the gate outside of Malfoy Manor and anxiously checked his watch. It had only been three minutes since Hermione had left with Aurelian but he was impatient. He was sure that he was making much too big a deal over the simple fact that Blaise had come looking for him at the Law Enforcement Office, but he couldn't shake his overwhelming anxiety. Blaise was his best friend and he knew him well. Though they often dropped in on each other at home, Blaise had only ever stopped by his workplace once, twice if he counted the time that Blaise recently stopped by International Magical Cooperation when he was off with Potter. Blaise would not have stopped by the Law Enforcement Office unless it was important. The question was, what did he consider important enough to seek Draco there?

Draco checked his watch again. Four minutes. He had to calm down. Hermione was right. If it were something very serious, Blaise would have come to his home. In fact, that was probably what Blaise should have done in the first place. Why didn't he?

Draco was startled from his thoughts by a 'pop' sound and a sudden presence beside him. He glanced up at Hermione and down at his watch in surprise. It had still only been four minutes that had passed. Though she said five minutes, he actually believed it would be a bit longer.

"Okay," she said, "I just dropped him off."

"Just like that?" Draco asked.

"I told Ginny that something important came up that we need to look into. She understood. She even said she'd take Aurelian back to my flat and put him to bed," she told him.

Draco nodded. Ginny seemed like a very kind and dependable friend to Hermione and he was thankful to her, even if he decided never to reveal it to her. He brushed the thought away. It was his own friend that he was concerned with now.

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked him.

Draco shook his head no. "Can we go now?"

"Of course," she said softly. She was feeling rather nervous because of Draco's reaction to it all, but she suppressed it. She became the strong, calm support for Draco, for it was what he needed. She wove her fingers into his.

Draco looked down at their joined hands and a tiny half-smile tugged at his lips. It was the first time they had ever held hands, and even with everything going on, he felt a light fluttering in his stomach. His eyes met hers as he took a deep breath and Disapparated.

Hermione was surprised when she opened her eyes. She had never before been to Blaise Zabini's home, but it certainly wasn't what she had expected. Blaise's family, that is to say his mother, had quite a fortune. Perhaps it was his money, the fact that he was a Slytherin, and/or his upper-crust, pureblood status, but Hermione had always sort of imagined he'd be living the high life under his mother's roof, much like Draco. Instead, she stood in the hallway of a wizard apartment building. She was actually familiar with it as Hannah Abbott shared a flat with Padma Patil, just down a few doors down.

Draco stepped up to the black door and knocked. Hermione stood a little to the side. After realizing how little she knew about Draco's friend, she decided it might be better to be cautious. They both heard movement from the other side of the door and it flew open.

"Malfoy. Merlin, where have you been? I've been waiting for you all afternoon," Blaise said immediately.

"I was at home," Draco answered, looking his friend over, analyzing his tone and stature.

"That's the first place I went," Blaise told him. "I went there just after lunch, but Pernie said you weren't there. I told her not to worry about it, I'd find you. Then I went to the Ministry and they didn't know where you were either. I was just about to come break down your door! Scared the bloody piss outta me, no one knowing where you are and you're mixed up in this… Granger?" Blaise's ranting stopped immediately when he noticed the curly-haired woman standing beside his front door. His eyebrows were raised in surprise. He looked at Draco and then back at Hermione and the corner of his mouth arched up into a large smirk. "I'm so sorry. I hadn't seen you there. To what do I owe the honor of your visit?"