Chapter 42: It Ends Tonight

Hermione tucked a few stray strands of hair behind her ear as the light breeze blew them across her face again. Even in the warmth of summer, there was a slight chill on the night air. Her body tense with anxiety, Hermione weaved her way through the group, each talking to their neighbor in hushed tones, and found Harry standing just outside of the gazebo. Their planning and gathering had taken just over an hour and they stood in and around a small white gazebo in the center of Harvery's Bend while the final preparations were made.

"Harry?" Hermione reached out and gently touched Harry's arm to get his attention. "Can I have it now? You did bring it, didn't you?"

"Yes, it's right here." Harry removed a wand from the inside of his cloak and offered it to her. Hermione closed her eyes and fingered the walnut wand in her hands, acquainting herself with it and allowing it to do the same with her. "Be careful with it, Hermione. I don't like the idea of you using an unfamiliar wand in battle."

"Bellatrix's wand isn't completely unfamiliar to me," Hermione reminded him. "I still hate it, but at least it likes me now. My future self stole it from her and gained its allegiance. I don't know exactly how the allegiance of a wand works, but even though it was the future me that took it, it accepts me now. I tried it weeks ago. It favors me. We know how twin wands dislike dueling against one another. This may be helpful and we need every advantage that we can get."

"Yes, but this wand doesn't only have twin cores. This is the exact same wand. We have no idea how they'll act against each other and I don't want you relying on such an unpredictable match," Harry explained.

"I know and I won't be solely depending upon it. This walnut wand is mine now and works for me as such, but I still have my other wand with me. Another added advantage," she said to ease his concern.

A small pop sounded near them and they turned around to see Ron quickly scanning the group.

"Harry," he said as he made his way to Harry and Hermione. "The squad and the aurors are all gathered just beyond the village tavern. They're under disillusionment charms already."

"Good. How many are they?" Harry inquired.

"There are ten from the squad. The two rookies looked a bit nervous, but still ready to go. I know I put them down sometimes, but they really are talented blokes," Ron reassured him.

"And the aurors?"

"Well… there are only three."

"What?" Harry hissed, trying his best to keep his voice down. "Who?"

"Robards, Bently, and Kellen. They're all there was. The others are in Italy," Ron explained. "Robards and I talked and we think it was a setup. Just two days ago, there were reports of the dark mark over a handful of muggle households in Italy. Robards didn't know about all the death eaters currently here and sent nearly everyone to Italy. We think the death eaters must have done it to distract us; to get the aurors out of the way."

"Bloody perfect," Harry muttered bitterly. "Every bit helps though. That's thirteen extras on our side."

"Exactly. If they only have fifteen, we've nearly doubled them," Hermione said in encouragement.

"Hey, where are the others? And Malfoy?" Ron worried as he looked over the group in the gazebo.

"Draco needed to, um, relieve himself," Hermione said uncomfortably. "Your dad, Bill, Percy, and Blaise went with him."

"Hilarious that he needs a full escort just to take a piss," Fred chided as he and George made their way down the gazebo stairs to join Harry, Ron, and Hermione.