Chapter 26: Man of Mettle

Thump! Screee...

Draco startled awake and looked around frantically. The first thing he noticed was the weight upon him and the mass of curly hair splayed across his chest. At the sight of Hermione and her living room, he calmed slightly. His heart still raced from his sudden wakening and he looked around the room slowly. While it was still rather dark, the sky outside the window was beginning to lighten and the sound twittering birds met his ears. It was morning.

Draco thought back over the events of the evening and how they led him to the place and position he found himself in. It all felt like a funny dream. The only real thing that still existed from it was the woman wrapped in his arms. He had been happy told hold her the previous night when she'd asked, but he had only intended to stay like that for a few minutes. He certainly hadn't expected to fall asleep, but he was happy he had. Though he'd dated in the past and even been intimate with a couple of women, he had never before woken with a woman in his arms. It somehow felt much more intimate than any of his other experiences.

Mine, he thought.

Thud!

Draco looked up at the sound, remembering the sound that had startled him into wakefulness. The girl in his arms stirred at the sound. Her head lazily rolled to the side and snuggled to his chest. A split second later, she sat bolt upright in surprise. Draco smirked at her surprise and the funny way her hair fell.

"Good morning," he greeted softly.

"What-?" she looked rather disoriented.

He could see her trying to put things together in her mind. He reached out and gently stroked her cheek.

"Oh, Merlin, I did it again, didn't I?" she asked miserably. "I am so sorry. I didn't mean to fall asleep again."

Draco smiled at her warmly and his fingers brushed her cheek again as he studied her face. Even in her early morning state, she was beautiful.

"Y-You stayed," she realized.

"Yeah. I fell asleep, too," he told her. "I might have even fallen asleep first, so no apologies." Draco leaned forward and placed a light kiss on her lips. Hermione sighed contentedly and slowly let her eyes flutter open again once he retreated. What an incredible way to wake - a warm solid body beneath her and delicate kiss that made her dizzy. She laid her head against his chest again. Just for a moment, she told herself.

"I could stay like this all day, you know," Draco whispered into her hair. "I don't want to you to move yet, really... but I'm afraid that Aurelian might be in the kitchen."

Hermione sat upright quickly again. "What?"

Screee...

"No," she groaned. "Aurelian?"

Hermione stood up and walked quickly to the kitchen.

"Oh, Aurelian..." she sighed.

"'Mornin', Mummy," Aurelian smiled brightly. He was standing on a chair that he had pulled over from the table and was working at the kitchen counter.

"Aurelian, what did I say about making breakfast?" she asked with a pout.

"Mummy say Mummy do it," Aurelian told her. "But Mummy and Daddy sleepin'."

"If I'm sleeping you have to wake me up, right?" Hermione reminded him.

"Daddy, too?" Aurelian asked.

"Um, yeah," she answered. She blushed and looked behind her to see Draco smirking at them both.

"Planning on having me stay the night again?" Draco teased, kissing her neck.