Chapter One

Evelyn's POV

I laid on my bed staring at my ceiling. I heard my parents and my older brother arguing over money. I couldn't stand being in this house. All my childhood consisted of was my dad coming home drunk always hitting me and my mom. When my brother started getting older he would drink and hit me. My mom always called me a bitch and would pull hair while my dad would hit me. After he would get done my brother would hit me some more before I passed out. I never liked living in this pack I've always wanted to run away. My brother would always catch me and get beaten up some more.

"Evelyn!" I heard my dads voice boom throughout the house.
I make my way downstairs as I start to panic at what I did wrong this time.

"Yes" I asked quietly shaking a
little bit.

"The alpha has invited us to the ball and if you want to go you better clean this house a little bit better" he growls looking at the dirty table with beer bottles and cigarettes.

I nod trying not to get yelled at. He walks towards me lighting a cigarette and looks down at me. He takes my arm and digs the cigarette into my arm making me scream. He slaps me hard in the face and I feel a bruise forming.

"Get out of my sight you slut" he says pushing me away.

I run to my room and shut my door. I slid down with my back against the wall and sob. I look at my arm and she it swell up. I try to find the first aid kit to soothe he burning sensation. I put gel on it and wrapped my arm. I looked at my bruised face and but ointment on it. I wiped away my tears and looked at myself in the mirror. I raised my shirt up and looked at my ribs poking out. My parents never cook and never let me out do my room so I barely get to eat. Every time I would try to get food I would get hit or burned. I took a shower and looked at the cuts on my legs from back when I would cut deep. I stopped cutting because it never solved my problems. I started to wash my hair and then washed my body. I got out and wrapped myself in a towel and dried my hair. I really wanted to go to the ball.

I had very few dresses that I wear for these occasions. I curled my hair and then put on a little bit of makeup. I didn't have a lot of makeup so I don't know why I even try. I put on a red short dress with heels.

I looked in the mirror and all I could see was a disappointment

I looked in the mirror and all I could see was a disappointment. My father always called me that or some other awful name. I heard the biggest pack in America is coming to the ball. The alpha over that pack had more authority than anybody else. He's really cute as so I've been told I never get to go outside. I've never had proper training so my defensive skills are terrible. I look at myself in the mirror one last time and walk out. My family has already left and I walk through the woods towards the pack ballroom. I see couples walk into the ballroom and I keep my head low. I start to think about my future mate. I've always wondered who I would be destined to.

I walk over to the table with food and I eat a little bit of fruit and drink some champagne. I walk around talking to a few people. They compliment me but I hear them mumble under their breath "that whore doesn't belong here" as I walk away. I keep my head low and huff.

I bump into someone and rub my nose. I hear the person grunt and I knew it was a male. I feel a tingle in my stomach.

"Ow watch where your goi-" I say looking at him

He grins and then it turns into a smile.

"Mine" he whispers taking my hand then kisses it.

"What" I ask confused.

"Your my mate" he says smiling bigger.

I blush and give a little smile.

"What's your name" I ask.

"Xander Reynolds" he says in a low husky voice.

I gasp and bow to him feeling embarrassed I acted like a jerk. He tilts my chin up and kisses my cheek. I blush and give a big smile. He gives me an even bigger smile. I feel somebody grab my arm and rip me from Xander's arms. It was my dad he slaps me making the whole pack snicker and laugh at me.

"Hey you slut" he slurs out obviously he's drunk

He slaps me again and raises his beer glass. I'm waiting for it to come crashing on my head but it never comes. I see Xander holding his throat up against the wall.

"Don't touch my mate you filthy animal" he growls with pitch black eyes.

"You don't want that ungrateful child of mine who is the biggest whore I've ever seen as your mate. She's too small and never does anything in the pack" he says before turning pale and then goes limp.

Xander comes back over to me and pulls me towards him. I feel his touch and it makes me tingle from that action. He looks around and everyone stares at me with disgust. He growls before speaking.

"This is my mate Evelyn!" He yells

How does he know my name??

"She's mine nobody else's she coming back with me to California and she's never coming back. This pack is a disgrace for picking on a innocent soul as this one. You all deserve to be injected with wolvesbane. Now thank you for the event but we are leaving" he walks with me right next to him.

"You are really taking me to California?" I ask looking up at him once we get to his car.

"Yes chéri" he says In his French accent.

I look up at him with tears in my eyes and I jump and hug him tightly around the neck. He has a shocked expression and rubs my back.

"Thank you" I say sobbing

He feels my pain and kisses my head.

"Come on let's get out of here" he picks me up bridal style carrying me to his car.