Chapter 21

Freddie's P.O.V.

"Freddie calm down" said Brian. He was trying hard to keep his shaky hands on the steering wheel.

"I'm trying dear, but this can't be happening" I said.

Brian was driving us to the hospital; I had no idea of how I was going to react when we got there. Our friend died; it was too much for Rose Marie: we were not sure if we could adopt Celine now; we didn't know if her father was going to take her with him, and to make it worse I was becoming less tolerant of my condition little by little. I hated to admit that I couldn't get used to it. I wish I didn't have this.

"I've never lost a friend, I'm not sure of how this feels" said Roger in the backseat. We never saw a quiet Roger like this one before.

"We're here"  announced Brian.

"I'm afraid of hospitals" said John. "I should stay here"

"Freddie! You're here" said Robert as soon as we got in.

"How is she?" asked Brian.

"She's better now, but very sad. She wants to see you" He told me. I shivered to that.

I walked to the room where she had been waiting. It felt like a long walk; now my legs were shaking, I felt like a baby walking for the very first time.

She was sitting on small couch by a window. She got up and ran to hug me as soon she saw me. She started sobbing on my chest.

"I'm really sorry" was all I managed to say.

"What's going to happen with Celine?" She asked as she let go of my hug.

"I don't know, I hope she can stay with us..."

"Did you bring her?"

"She's at home with Debbie"

"Freddie what are we going to tell her? We have to hide her away from her father, when he finds out Dora died, he will come for Celine"

"We can't do that darling" I wish we could.

"But why not? He doesn't even love her like we do" Oh my sweet Rosie.

"We could get into trouble if we do that" I hated to see her sad. "I have a better idea, let's get married as soon as possible, then we can legally fight... for Celine's custody" her eyes brightened.

"Yes, yes we could" he held my hands in hers. "But, if Celine gets to stay with us, I don't want her to forget Dora; I'm not replacing her mother"

"You'll be her second mommy" I kissed her forehead. She showed me her first smile after a while.

                                                        *****************************

It had been two weeks since Dora passed away. Celine was still living with us, but her father called Robert to inform us he was coming to visit Celine, we didn't know if he was going to take her with him or not, but we decided to not overthink about it because after all, Christopher was a very unpredictable man... and weird, very weird; he didn't even show up at Dora's funeral. We confirmed he was heartless. Celine was constantly asking where Dora was, but how do you explain death to a little girl? We told her she went to heaven, and she kept asking for how long her mommy was going to stay in heaven. Rosie couldn't help but shed a tear when she witnessed that.

On the other hand, things at home went on as the usual, except that we postponed the studio meetings for the following days as a way of respect for Dora's passing. Rosie didn't go to work the following days either; Robert told us it was better for her to stay at home until she was more stable, and as for my health, well, I told Rosie I was feeling better, but there were days when I felt small parts inside me slowly dying.