Walk Away

So like that's Axel...

Chapter 12

The crowd screams and does another wave as a touch down is made. I watch as Hazel climbs onto Jackson's shoulder in the middle of the student section. She so easily captures the attention of everyone around her without knowing it.

While me and Mo are further up the bleachers feeling too drained to be apart of the madness right now.

"You okay with this?" Mo asks as I watch Hazel scream causing me to smile.

"What do you mean?" I ask somewhat surprised by her seriousness.

"You know, this," she says pushing her hands or to Hazel and the guys, "the people around you are amazing. But they aren't exactly what you told me you needed in the beginning. You said under the radar- they are off the charts kind of people."

"What brought this on?" I ask completely caught off guard.

"What you said the first day stuck with me. I understand wanting to be invisible more than anyone."

"I never said invisible."

She lets out a sigh, "Blaze. I get you like them. Hazel has been my friend for a long time, but she is directly in the middle of you are trying to avoid. They all are," Mo points out and I can't help but flinch at the truth in her words.

"Look it's not that big of a deal-"

"What you think I don't notice?" She snaps and I reel back in surprise.

"What?" I breathe.

"The hushed conversations with Axel. His sudden interest in you when a week or two ago you would tell me how much he hates you! They way you are with Mr. William for God's sake. Either your fucking both of them, which power to you, or obviously those two know something you don't want them too! Isn't that proof enough that you have gotten too close to these people?! That this is exactly what you didn't want. Why you needed my help in the first place if you weren't going to actually go through with it!" Mo whisper yells watching the people around us.

She continues before I can interrupt, "i have learned to accept not knowing your secrets. But that doesn't mean I don't see the damage they have done. Like I could ignore the fact you lie through your teeth. Anything involving you, your home, your parents, where your from, all of it is a lie, complete crap," She signs and softly adds, "Blaze it's like you don't even know what's the truth or a lie anymore."

I watch her silently before slowly let my eyes fall towards my feet, "Damn I forgot you're smart," I mutter.

"I'm not valedictorian because I like to study," she says with a smirk.

I roll my eyes, "I can see that, as well as no social filter."

In the corner of my eyes I see her cheeks tint a light shade of pink, "I'm working on that."

I sign and shove my hands further into my pockets, exhausted was a word I could use to describe my mental state right now. Always on edge, always trying to be smart, to be cautious, to stay hidden. But at the same time I fell at ease when I am with them. Comfortable, something only one person as given me since I was on the run. And I even left her.

"What now?" I whisper more to myself but Mo answers.

"You step back," she says with a shrug, "whatever you are running from-"