Two by Two

Chapter 19

There is a heavy silence and I sit patiently awaiting their reactions. Hoping. Praying they are not mad, that they believe me. I don't think I could handle the few people I truely trust doubt me right now. I know Axel will always believe me. A warmth spreads through me at that thought.

"Holy shit," Mason whispers under his breath. He is the first to speak out of everyone.

"Yeah," I mumble as Axel squeezes my hand and it sends a jolt through me.

"Since you were 12?" Jackson asks from in front of me on the floor with Axel to my left and Hazel to my right.

"Yeah," I mumble again, and Mo, who sits on the chair beside the couch, speaks up.

"Is that why you would never tell me the whole story? You thought I'd get hurt?" She asks and my eyes snap to her.

"I knew you would. They wouldn't hesitate to attack some innocent high school girl," I snap and the venom in my voice slipping brought. Jax curses under his breath from the chair next to Hazel.

"Holy shit," Mason repeats from in front of me as he sits on the coffee table.

"You've said that already," Axel mutters annoyed. He's been like a protective dog ever since they got home and I began to explain myself.

"So you've been all alone?" Hazel says ignoring the boys.

I shake my head with a weak smile, "no."

They watch me patiently as I try to figure out to describe her, "her name is Scarlet. She has her own demons and knew the right kind of people when it came to faking papers and running away from foster homes. She taught me everything I know."

"She sounds terrifying," Jax mutters and I smile softly at the memory.

"She's the reason I am alive."

My words hang in the air for a moment as it seeps into our skins and the weight of what is happening presses onto us.

"Holy shit," Mason repeats again, "this is real?"

I nod my head somewhat confused.

"You are really running for your life right now?" He asks and again I nod, "Blaze this shit is crazy you have to go to the cops."

And I tense feeling a shiver roll up my skin sending goosebumps out to my arms.

"You don't think I've tried that?" I snap a little too harshly, "she has so much power and influence. The police were where I first went when I was a kid. That was how she first got ahold of me."

A silence lays over us again. Axel rubs his thumb across my knuckles as he holds onto my hand. He hasn't said much, but I know it's because his mind is running wild.

"Look I know this is really intense and it's a shitty situation," I begin with a sigh, "that's why I wanted to leave-"

"Blaze," Axel's voice cuts through me like a crack of lighting as he squeezes my hand.

"But I know that will only hurt the people I care about," I continue squeezing his hand back which seems to calm him down, "you guys have literally been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don't want to leave..."

I glance at Axel knowing he will be pissed, "but this is also about your safety. Please recognize this isn't child's play. This is dangerous."

I feel him begin to sit up and I feel the anxiety and worry spreading through him but before he can say anything Jax opens his mouth, "we know Blaze and we don't care. You're family now which means we are gonna be with you through this, so deal with it."