The Trails of Love

Chapter 31

Blaze

"I'm sorry about my mother," He murmurs against my lips while his hands slide down my arms and wrap around my waist. I wince against his hold trying to ignoring the growing bruises, but he doesn't notice.

"It's fine," I breath and my fingers find his hair locking into the long strands.

He pulls away slightly causing my body to follow the movement, "no it's not. She is insane!"

He won't meet my eyes as he talks and I move quickly stopping his train of thought. I grab onto his cheeks and pull his face towards me, forcing his eyes to mine hopefully calming them.

"Hey, Axel. Hey! Look at me," I say and he reluctantly quiets down, "Your mother is a product of herself, and I just glad she never dragged you will her."

I glance out the window at the still empty parking lot with a small smile, "your dad, however," I continue, "You definitely share a lot of qualities with him." Axel tenses under my hands and he again looks down refusing to make eye contact. I already know which part made me upset.

"Good qualities. Like how he handled your mother!" I encourage with a smile ducking my head for a moment to make is eyes lock on mine once more.

He shakes his head, "You wouldn't be saying that if you saw what I was like..." he trails off but I won't let him leave me hanging.

I know Axel, and I see him for who he truly is. Sometimes I wonder if he sees someone else in the mirror. If a shadow haunts him that he has still not told me about, but I already have seen it and if he is worried he will scare me away well then he has nothing to worry about.

"Axel, talk to me," I press, "please."

He sighs, "When you were gone I- God Blaze never do that to me again," He mutters the last part before continuing, "I wasn't myself. I was angry and cruel. The way I spoke and made decisions- I was becoming my father and everyone could see it."

He breaks away from me to rub his tired eyes, the darker skin weighing down on my heart.

"Was that a bad thing?" I ask trying to see where his head is.

"Yes! No. Shit maybe?" He says all at once still standing away from me, "I just know you weren't here and there wasn't anyone to put my feet back on the ground."

Cautiously, I take a step towards him, "Well, I'm here now."

His eyes look more grey than blue today, "yes you are, but for how long?" He asks and I can tell he regrets it as soon as its out of his mouth.

"As long as you need me," I tell him firmly causing him to smile as I place my hands back to his chest and he wraps is arms around my waist once more.

There is an abrupt cough from beside us and I just realize we are still standing in the living room with a couple of bodyguards lounging around not seeming interested in our conversation.

"You stop noticing them after a while," Axel mumbles to me before turning his head to the man in a white coat that interrupted us. His balding hair matching the coat and his lanky body barely filling it out.

"Your father said she needs medical attention," his voice is scratchy like an uncomfortable sweater gripping across my arms.

As if he knows the unpleasant nature of his voice he simply juts his head towards the stairs signaling us to follow. He walks up the stairs and into Axel's room which surprises me until I see the already set up supplies. Axel had told him where I am going to stay.