Chapter 9: *sighs*

(Gabriel's POV)

It's been three days since I was allowed to leave the hospital and Nova is clinging to me like I'm going to disappear.  Even though I do like attention, she's kind of getting irritating.  Every time I get up to do something, she's literally right behind me.

I had contacted an old friend.  A younger guy with raven black hair and grey-green eyes.  His name is Raymond and we've been friends since a while back.  He let me and Nova stay there until we could find a place to settle for the time being.  I stood up to go do something and wasn't surprised when Nova stood up too.  I turned around.

"Nova, please.  I'm just going into the other room for a few minutes.  You don't need to follow me." I chuckled a little and grabbed her wrists.  I could feel long bumps under the thin fabric.  She looked terrified.

"But what if you get hurt?" her eyes were wide with fear.

I just smiled and hugged her. "I'll be right back.  Nothing is going to happen.  I promise." she whined and sat back down.

I sighed and walked into the kitchen, which was around the corner.  She couldn't see anything that I did at the moment.  I walked over to the sink, turned the faucet on and splashed water on my face.  It felt cold and cleared my mind.  I dried my face off with my jacket and turned around, instantly dropping.  I tried not to make any noise as a high-pitched ringing flooded my brain.  It was the angels.  They kept repeating the same thing over and over again.

Lucifer is free.  He's out of the cage.  Again.

I gasped and ran back to where Nova was.  I grabbed her by the arm and dragged her out the front door.  She yelped but followed me.

"Gabriel!  What's going on?"

I saw Raymond approaching us.  He looked confused. "Sorry, Ray, gotta go.  Some family stuff came up!" he nodded in understanding.

"Okay!  I hope everything works out for you!" he called over his shoulder.

I pulled Nova close to me and brought us to the entrance of a bunker (no not the Men of Letters' bunker).  I opened it, shoved Nova inside and followed her in, slamming the heavy door and bolting it shut.

"Gabe, tell me what the hell is going on before I freak!" her voice rose a few octives.

"Lucifer's free.  We need to stay hidden.  YOU need to stay hidden." I could hear the panic in my voice.

"Why me?"

"Because, he's most likely going to do something bad to you to get to me.  And I can't risk that." she hugged me, which I honestly wasn't expecting.

"Well, then you're staying with me!  I'm not going to let you lock me up in a bunker for God knows how long until this gets solved.  M'kay?"

I sighed and pushed her away a little. "Nova, I can't risk that.  You could die."

"Well so could you!"

"Yeah, but Lucifer's my brother.  I know how to handle his better than you do."

"You're not being fair, Gabriel!" her eyes narrowed and I tried to ignore the feeling of emotional pain swelling in my heart.  I hated it when she called me "Gabriel".

"I don't have to be.  You can kick and scream and be as mad as you want, but I am not letting you leave until this whole thing is situated." I went to go pull her into a hug, but she just shoved past me.  I wanted desperately to cry, but I knew it was better for her to be safe and mad than happy and dead.  I knew I was doing the right thing in keeping her out of harm's way.

I sighed painfully as I watched the one girl I love walk away, the bounce in her step gone.  Her shoulders were tense and her arms were folded.  She walked down a hallway before I lost sight of her.

It hurt to see her so angry with me.  I should probably lock up anything sharp so she doesn't do anything stupid while I'm gone.

~Le Time Skip~

I stood up after locking anything and everything that could break someone's skin in a safe that only opens to a combination that's stuck deep in my brain.  I also had it written down somewhere that Nova would never find up (lol he wrote it on the ceiling).

A loud crash came from somewhere else in the bunker.  I got scared, due to the fact that only Nova could've made that loud of a noise.  I stood up and started running down the halls.  This place was almost as big as the Winchester's bunker, but I could still easily navigate.  My breathing was even as I ran through the twisting halls.

"GABRIEL!!!"

My heart stopped at the shrill cry and I ran faster, focusing all my energy on getting to Nova as fast as I could.  I stopped in my tracks as I saw Nova sitting on a table, her knees drawn to her chest.  She was screaming and pointing at....a mouse?

"Kill it!  Kill it! Kill it!"

I sighed and walked over to the tiny creature, picking it up.  It stayed in my palm as I walked back through the halls and out of the bunker.  I put it on the ground and it scampered off.  I was irritated that Nova would scare the shit out of me over a mouse.

"Heey Gabey~"

For the second time today, my blood chilled and my heart stopped.  I slowly turned around, facing the inside of the bunker, to see the one person I dreaded most.

"Lucifer." I could tell my voice was shaky.  He smiled and started walking around. "What are you doing here?"

"Please, any angel could sense your fear from ten seconds ago.  Now all I can sense is prickly irritation.  Plus the fear" he snapped his fingers and I tried to stop my eyes from widening as Nova instantly appeared.  He shot his hand out and grabbed her by the arm.  I couldn't stop myself from shaking, though.  Lucifer smiled, an evil aura seeping off of him.  It was almost sickening.

"What are you doing with her?" my voice was steady and I forced all emotion out of my eyes.

"Well, I was hoping to use her to get to you.  I'm guessing it's going to work." he laughed once and nodded his head in a cocky fashion.

I cleared my head and stared straight into Nova's eyes, pleading silently with her to forgive me for what I'm about to say.

"She means nothing to me."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay!  A little bit of a plot twist!  What y'all think?

(Word Count: 1103)