4. Memories of Brothers Past

Haruka Household 8 Years Ago:
"Don't worry, you will get the hang of it. I promise." Akio Haruka said as Kokona Haruka crossed her arms.

"It's too hard big brother!"

The tall, slender teen patted his sister's head reassuringly. "Nobody gets it the first time Koko, just ask mom. I bet in a few years time you'll be even better at it than she is."

The 10 year old puffed out her cheeks in frustration. "No, I quit, it's too hard!" She exclaimed as tears started to form in her eyes as she stormed off. Aiko sighed, picking himself up off the ground to try and catch his little sister and comfort her. Thankfully he knew just where to find her. From a young age, she loved to climb and her favorite hiding spot was a cherry blossom tree in their front yard. When she hid herself up there Akio was the only one who could talk to her.

His feet made soft crunching sounds from the fallen cherry blossoms that signified the beginning of the autumn season. The cool crisp air hit his face as he grabbed one of the lowest branches of the tree to pull his body up and perched himself there. "Koko, what's wrong? You love working on your powers, you're the toughest 10 year old I know."

Kokona shook the branch just above causing some leaves to fall on his head. She sniffled wiping her nose. "I- I saw the letter."

Akio sighed looking downward. "They have been trying to get me to leave for years and it has never happened, do you know why?" Kokona remained quiet as she sat on the branch. "Because I'm not leaving my little sister. I promised you that I would help you learn about these powers and that's what I'm gonna do. There's nothing that can take me away." He sighed as his phone started to ring. He plucked the phone out of his pocket and held it to his ear.

"Yeah?" There was a bit of silence since Kokona couldn't hear the other end of the conversation but she knew who it was. She clenched her tiny fists. "Yeah, I understand, they never act at a good time." He was being called away again. She knew it. That damn partner of his was taking him away from her again. She hated her. He clicked off his phone stuffing it back in his pocket.

"You're leaving again, aren't you?"

Akio nodded. "Yes Koko, but it's just downtown. I'll be back by dinner."

"And she'll be there?" Kokona asked, a tiny growl deep in her voice.

"Yes Koko, she's my partner, my backup."

"She's evil," Kokona interrupted. Akio shook his head jumping down from the tree branch.

"I'll be back in time for dinner." He said as he slowly walked away. Turning back just to see Kokona folding her arms and bringing her knees up to her chest.

"Cassandra," She hissed under her breath.