12. Sorry

"Sebastian!? Please... please stay with us. Stay alive!!" Eliza cried.

"Ma, I'm... I'm sorry.. for forgetting what you taught me." Said Philip.

"No! You're not leaving us like this!! It'll be okay! Just please.." Eliza grabbed Philip's hands into hers.

"Sebastian.." I whispered.

"Pa.. I did exactly what you said."

"I know. You did everything just right-" I began to fake cry.

"I-I... I'm.." Philip took one last breath and slowly rested his head back.

Eliza began to cry. Like a really painful cry.

"Anddd scene." Philip shot back up.

Everyone in the theatre club began to clap. I can even see one had a tear streaming down their face.

"Bravo!! Such amazing acting skills!! Just...perfect!" Mr. Browne smiled brightly.

We all took a bow and walked off stage.

"Damn Eliza. I didn't know you had such amazing acting skills." I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you. I've practiced at home, since I was young." She blushed, looking away.

"Heh."

"B-but you're pretty good yourself!!" She shot back.

"Thanks." I smiled.

Hm, thinking about it now, I'm at school and Mr, Washington isn't here.. At least I don't think. Will I have time to check if John sent a letter back?

"Hey, I'll be right back. I just need to get something from my locker.." I grinned.

"Oh okay..!" Eliza responded.

I left through the back door from the stage. I speed walked so I can make things a little quicker.

I finally got to Mr. Washington's room. I peeked through the mini window on the door to check if anyone was in there. No one, good. I open the door and walk inside. I point out my finger, looking for my mailbox.

"Annnd... there." Found it. And a perfectly placed letter was sitting in there. I slid out the letter and headed to the door.

"I thought you were going to your locker."

"What the fuck-?! Eliza?! You scared me!!" I jumped back. Eliza was there, leaning against the door frame.

"Did you-.. why did you follow me??"

"Well.. I just... felt like it. Hey, what's that?" She pointed to the letter in my hand. I hid it behind my back.

"Nothing." I just remembered she had no idea that I've been talking-.. writing to John.

"Oh come on. It's obviously important. Here let me read it-" she reached over for the letter behind me but then I raised it in the air.

"Really? You're gonna do this?" She smirked.

"Well, I-" I bolted to the door and ran down the hall. Eliza ran after me.

"Stop!! Why can't I just read the letter?!"

"Because it isn't your business!!" I panted.

-

She's been chasing after me for about 6 minutes. I took a right and hid behind a wall. Her foot steps became slowly. Then eventually it was quiet. I think she lost me.

I open the envelope and unfold the letter.

"Gotcha!!" She grabbed the letter out of my hands.

"No!! Eliza stop! This isn't funny!! That's mine!!" I shouted.

"Oh my god, calm down." I groaned. I cover my face with the palms of my hands. She began to read the letter aloud.

"Alex,

I'm gonna be honest with you. I don't really like Christmas. *gasp* I just never had any great Christmases. Besides, I think Christmas is overrated. Give another holiday more spotlight like St. Patrick's day or some shit," Eliza's smiley grin slowly turned to a more serious-shocking face.

"Well, I guess not all of my Christmas were bad. There are very few that I kinda liked. Like with the Schuylers and I.. My dad was... busy a lot so I spent most of my holidays with them. Too bad they aren't here anymore.
Anyways, just wanna let you know me and Samuel had been getting closer as friends now and I've even been starting to have conversations with George. Isn't it great? Even though I talk with Seabury now.. I still don't want to follow his ass everywhere. I give Samuel and George some time together. But I still feel alone. I wish you were here, I'd feel better.
Your pen pal friend," Eliza took a deep breath

"John Laurens."

It was silent. I couldn't tell if she was mad that I didn't tell her sooner or if she's sad that she couldn't be there for John.. or both.

"Eliza,, are you-"

"H-how long have you been talking with him." She didn't even look at me.

"..late September."

"Then why?? Why couldn't you tell me before?"

"I-I don't know.. Are...are you mad?" It took her a few minutes to respond.

"No. No I'm not. But I do have a question." She turned around, facing me.

"Can I please talk to him? Write him a letter back? I.. really miss him. I just want to explain some stuff.. y'know?"

"I understand.. Of course you can write to him."

"Thank you."

-
Dear John,

this isn't the letter you're probably expecting. Hi, it's Eliza. I miss you, we miss you. Alexander had allowed me to write this letter to you. I hope you will take the time to read this and could understand. Yes, I know you're alone, in a lot of shit. We're sorry we didn't tell you we were moving sooner. We just didn't want to hurt you, but obviously we hurt you more than we expected. It broke my heart when you stormed away. I wanted to run after you, but I knew you didn't want my company. Know that we're still there for you no matter how far apart we are. We could be living on the other side of the country and we'd still be there for you. Can we be friends again? Text each other, tell jokes, even hang out after school one time? Even though we won't see you inside school, we could still see each other from outside school. We don't live that far, maybe just a few hours away but we can still make it. Again, we're really sorry.

Love, Eliza and the Schuylers.

An: i d g a f  i f  t h i s  i s  o v e r 
d r a m a t i c  i  n e e d 
s o m e t h i n g  t o  w r i t e .