36. One Last Exam Day

This is it. My very last exam. Finally.
Okay well my very last exam in high school. It still feels like a special day though.

I finished my exam in about 45 minutes. I wasn't as fast as I could've been, but it'll do. 10 more minutes and then I can finally leave. We cannot be dismissed until the amount of time they gave us to write the exam is done, which is 2 hours.

Since we're not allowed to use our phones while we wait, I've just been doing some intense thinking. 90% of that thinking was about John.

Speaking of John, he's currently hanging around my apartment since he has already finished school. Gosh, I can't wait to be with him again. Coming home after school and then seeing him just feels so right.

I hear a muffled voice but I just ignore it. Then suddenly the students in my class start getting up and tucking their chairs. I blink a few times and then zone back into the real world. Everyone was handing in their exams and exiting out the classroom. I copy and then walk down the hallway.

I entered the foyer when I saw Thomas. He looked like he was about to leave but then he turned his head in my direction. We made eye contact.

As I was walking closer he turned towards me and gave me a smile. Well, it's one of those smiles where they're not really smiles it's just spreading the corners of your mouth apart for a few seconds and then back to resting face-
..so yeah.

"Hey." I said. He greeted back.

"I was just about to leave." Thomas says.

"Yeah, I assumed." I add.

There was an awkward silence for about 3 seconds until I blurted, "So, I guess this is the last time we'll ever see each other." He made a confused face.

"Won't we see each other at grad?" questioned Thomas.

"Oh shit yeah." Yup, I'm a dumbazz. I feel a bit embarrassed. Another few awkward seconds go by.

"Well, that's unfortunate. I was reallyyy hoping this would the last of Thomas Jefferson for me as your face is just so sickening." I tease, attempting to die down the awkward tension. Luckily, he caught on.

"Hey, at least it's just grad. I can't go another day seeing your short ass." he teased back. We both smiled.

"Alright, I gotta head out." said Thomas. I nod.

"So long, Jeffershit." I said.

"Peace out, Hamilfuck." He put up a peace sign. I laugh. Then, we both go our separate ways.

I eventually get to my locker and grabbed my backpack. Instead of closing my lock like I regularly would, I removed it from its usual spot and put it in my bag. Damn, that made me feel a little sad. I closed my locker door and then swung my backpack around. I turned to my right and saw Aaron Burr walk over to me.

"Hi." He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Hey." I say coldly.

"Look, since school is ending and stuff, I just wanted to apologize." I raised my eyebrows slightly.

"I became such an asshole to you and your friend group, and I'm really sorry about that. I guess I didn't really have much of an identity. I still don't really have one, but I'm working on it," he sighs, then continues, "when I started hanging around Thomas and James, I just started acting like Thomas since I didn't know how to act like myself. I was so influenced by him that my mindset and behaviour just completely changed. Whatever Thomas opinions were, they were mine as well, whoever Thomas disliked, I disliked too, and so on..
Not too long ago Theodosia broke up with me. The person I had become really hit me, which got me thinking over my choices.. So here we are." Aaron explained.

"Wow. First off, I'm sorry about you and Theodosia. Second, I forgive you. Yeah, you became an asshole to us but I understand why now.. I'm happy you're figuring yourself out now." I say. Aaron nodded.

"I'm glad we finally got that out of the way." Burr says in relief.

"Me too. ..Hey, I was just about to head out. You can walk with me if you were about to do the same." I said.

"Oh yeah, sure." he was a little startled by my offer, but he seemed pleased.

We walked and talked all the way over to the student parking lot. Catching up and such.

"Alright well, I gotta get home." I say.

"Right yeah, me too. See you at graduation." he waved.

"Yeah, see you." I waved back. We split apart, walking towards our cars.

Before he gets any further, I turned back and added, "Oh, and Burr?" He turned to me.

"If you ever need a friend to talk to, text me whenever." I offer.

"Thank you, Hamilton." He gives a warming smile.

-

I'm in front of my apartment door. I twist the door knob and open it to see John in the living room. He was listening to Crocodile Rock by Elton John while finishing up a painting of a turtle. How cute.

He turned his head to me, grinning.

"Heyoo!" Greeted John.

Gosh, I'll never get tired seeing him first thing getting home.

an: i don't like this chapter bc its a lil boring n short but i just wanted a way for alex n burr to be on good terms again - more exciting stuff n lams next chapter