CHEN

Dragging your feet, you felt the tension in your right arm as your best friend, Chen, pulled you through the carnival. The lights blinded your sight and the numerous smells of carnival food and portapotties made you nauseous. He yelled at you a couple times to pick up the pace, but you weren’t feeling it. You had a huge, and I mean HUGE, test tomorrow and he wasn’t helping. The way he asked you to come with him didn’t either.

“____, don’t be lamer than you already are. The clowns aren’t gonna get you.”

You squinted your eyes at the recollection. Why did you have to tell him that of all things? Clowns were one of your worst fears. You should’ve just lied and said you were afraid of balloons or something.

You sighed and looked around the carnival. You might as well make the most of it since you don’t have your smudged, handwritten composition book to keep you company. Wiping an imaginary tear, you walked right into Chen as he stopped in front of a game booth. Standing behind him, you leaned to your left to see what he was staring at.

A dart booth stood before you in all its glory. You looked up at Chen to see him with a bright, determined smile on his face. He turned to you, an evil twinge in his eye.

“I got this, _____.”

Pushing him to the right, you stepped up to the booth first. You winked at him.

“Excuse me. Ever heard of ladies first.”

You slip a couple dollars out of your wallet and hand it to the employee.

“One game, please.”

“Yea, sure. Have some darts.”

The guy shrugs his shoulders and turns back to his phone. You glance at Chen one last time and smirk at him before facing the dart board. Here goes nothing. You throw the dart, watching as it flies through the air. You cross your fingers as it hits the board. You stare at it eyes wide.

“Bulleyes!” You shriek laughing. Jumping up and down, Chen walks up to you and pushes you down.

“Look again.”

Turning towards the board, you see that it’s empty and on the ground is the dart…lodged in the soil. Picking up the rest of the darts, you chuck them at the dart board. They all hit it and fall to the ground. You stare at it in disbelief.

“Are you kidding me?”

“Nope.”

Chen smirks at you and hands his money to the employee who’s retrieving your fallen darts. Wiping off the dirt, he places them on the counter.

“All yours, bro.”

Chen picks them up and throws them at the board. You sink to your knees and stare at it. He hit bulleyes each time. Chen pats your shoulder and laughs.

“Told you I got this, ____.”

You glare up at him as he picks his prize. Too angry to hear what he’s saying, you fall on your butt as he shoves a small plush bear in front of your face. It was as big as your hand and was blue with a purple ribbon wrapped around its neck.

“For you?”

“What?”

“Since you lost.”

“I don’t want it.”

“What?”

“I want to win.”

Chen blinks, looking from you on your butt to the bear and back again.

“What?”

“I got this.”