Segment 3

Gym was last period. I was late to class because our maths teacher wanted to speak to me about extension work because I was too good for what the class was up to. I guess there are advantages if you have an extremely bright brother.

I quickly changed into my light pink tank top and black sports shorts but before I could enter the gym, Peter stopped me from entering. I couldn't back away because he was holding my arms and I couldn't dodge him because he was too big.

"Tris right?"

"Yes." I spat out the word. I have never talked to Peter before and I already hate him.

"I was thinking we should hang out some time. Just you and me." He smiles but not a nice smile.

"I don't think so."

"But I think so Beatrice." He snickers. I wince. He knows my real name. That's impossible though. Only two people know my real name and that is Lynn and Christina. Lynn must have told him. He will tell everyone my real name unless I go out with him.

"Fine. After school." I growl in defeat and then he lets me into the gym hall. The coach is in the middle of speaking so I sneak in beside Christina.

"Why were you talking to Peter?" she whispers but I pretend I didn't hear her. Instead I look over to where Lynn stands and eye her off with hatred. That snake must pay for what she did.

The only word I hear of the Coach's speech is dodge ball and I automatically know that this is time when I can embarrass her in front of everyone. This is my chance.

The coach splits us into two groups of 12. I have Marlene, Zeke, Peter and Shauna on my side which gives me an opportunity to get Lynn. I was a dodge ball champion at my old school but my new school is totally different. Everyone is good at dodge ball.

Every time Peter gets someone out he looks at me with his evil smile and I roll my eyes. Eventually it's just Peter, Zeke and I versing Lynn and Four. Our team is winning. I just need to get out Lynn now. I pick up a ball and throw it as hard as I can at her head. Lynn falls over and start to cry. Everyone starts laughing but Marlene, Christina and Shauna rush over to help Lynn. I don't know why they like her so much. Chris looks at me hurtfully as I join in with the laughing.

I don't really mind until I see Four's face and then I am no longer smiling.

***

I sigh in defeat as I drop my bag on the floor.

"Mum, dad, Caleb are you home?" But I get no response and the house is dark so I invite Peter in. I'm in such a bad mood I don't even care that he's in my house. Only now, after I calmed down, have I realised that what I did to Lynn was unnecessary and I shouldn't have laughed at her. Now Four, Chris and the gang hate me. All my friends are against me so I guess all I have left is Peter.

I invite him up to my bedroom and we sit on the bed.

"So now what?" I ask him grumpy.

"Whatever you want to do." He smiles that flirty smile that I hate. I decide to take advantage of Peter being here.

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Yep."

"Well I've never kissed a boy before."

He laughs "well I have kissed a girl before."

"So will you teach me?" I'm whispering now, getting closer. He lets out a moan as I straddle his lap. Then he wraps his arms around my waist and I hold onto his face as I kiss him.

"You're good for someone who has never kissed before" he breaths.

"Maybe I lied." I giggle and continue to kiss him until I hear my mum arrive home and he has to climb out the window.