Segment 8

That morning I woke up with a thrilling head ache. My muscles burned as if I had been exercising all night and I didn't even know where I was. I rub my forehead and find it covered in sweat. I feel horrible. I get up from the bed I lay on a rush to the bathroom. I didn't know it was a bathroom but it was a lucky guess. I made it just in time to throw up into the toilet. Even after I have finished vomitting I can taste it in the backo f my throat. I stand and look into the mirror at a girl I barely even know. I look... Hungover. And that's what I am. Bags under my eyes and hair pointing out in all directions possible.

"Tris?" Four walks into the room and I freeze, my hands clutching the sink so hard I think it might break. He sees me tense and decides to not come any closer.

"Am I at your house?" It almost comes out in a whine.

"Yes."

"Did we?" I breath.

"No."

I let out a breath and close my eyes. I hear his footsteps as he nears me. The moment I feel his fingers on my back I vomit in the sink.

"My parents can't see me like this."

"I know. You can stay here until you're better."

"I need to call Caleb." I make up an excuse so that his hands leave my back. I remember everything so clearly now, like a film playing in my mind. The way I had kissed him and he had swung me around and confessed his feelings for me.

I leave the bathroom and grab my phone but my fingers are shaking so hard I can bearly type in the numbers. Without any notice, Four's hands slide over the phone and he takes it in his firm grip.

He begins to dial the number as I read it to him and then he passes me the phone. Caleb picks up on the fifth ring.

"Where are you? Mum and dad are panicking they almost called the police. You're lucky I'm here to save you."

"I can't come home Caleb."

"What?! Do I always have to cover for you."

"I promise I will next time. I'm just feeling really sick."

"Don't tell me you're hung over." When I don't reply he sighs, "fine. I'll cover for you but you have to be careful when drinking Beatrice. It's not safe."

"Yeah what ever. Bye." And I hang up. Now I have a whole day with Four.

I sit down on the bed and he sits beside me.

"We need to talk about last night." He starts.

"I know."

"The kiss... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken advantage of you Tris. I don't wamt you feeling forced that you have to be with me."

"Forced?" I almost choke. "Do you know how hard it has been for me to stay away from you?"

More silence and after a while I realise how annoyed I am that he sits so far away. I shuffle over and sit so close that we touch and lie my head on his shoulder.

"There's something you don't know about me Tris. My ex and I lied to each other and we ended up dumping each other. I don't want to loose you too if i can't even be honest with you."

I pause. He wants an honest relationship. Isn't that a bit too soon to ask of me? I don't know if this relationship is going to work. It's not my fault. But I'm not prepared to tell him my past. Not yet. I nod.

"My real name is Tobias. I lived in Afghanistan with my father after my mother left. He was a well respected soldier and everyone always saw the good side of him. But after my mother left I began to see the bad side of him more often. He abused me. I used to come to school with a black eye or in a wheelchair. It started getting serious but I couldn't tell anyone or my dad could get in trouble. So I ran away and came here, changing my identity so my father would never find me. Now he is safe and I am safe from him."

"I'm so sorry Tobias."

"It's ok." He looks away from me. I have to tell him. I have to tell him.

"Tobias..." I begin but I am already kissing him and I never get to tell him my real story.