Segment 37

I am out of hospital in the next week and today is my first day of school. I feel much better now that Peter is arrested and was expelled. I am excited about seeing my friends too. I missed them. The only thing that could go wrong today is if Tobias shows up. Then I'm screwed. What will I say? What will I do? I can't just ignore him. My mind races as I near the school.
As soon as I walk into the classroom the lights flicker on and I jump as everyone jumps out and yells "welcome back!"
Streamers and balloons fill the air and I never realised how popular I was. I am immeadiatly hugged by Christina, Marlene and Shauna. Chris began to cry and I think she forgets how angry she was at me.
Will, Uriah and Zeke then greet me and welcome me back. Everyone surrounds me with questions like "what was it like? Where you scared? Why did Peter do that to you?"
The room falls silent all of a sudden and I follow the glances to the doorway where Tobias stands. He looks in a mess. His hair is messy and his eyes are bloodshot. He sways and grabs onto the door to steady himself. Is he drunk? At school? What is he thinking!
"Stop staring at me." He grunts and staggers over to his seat.
"Four can we please talk outside." I walk up to him, the classes' eyes following my every movement.
"Don't call me that." He snaps and I freeze. "Call me my real name."
The class seems to go from silent to dead. No one moves and I don't think anyone is breathing. I am certainly not. When Tobias is sober he will regret this so much. I won't say anything.
"What are you talking about? Come outside now." I quickly make up an excuse and then turn to the class. "He is really drunk."
"I'm not moving until you call me by my real name!" He growls, crossing his arms.
"Here. I'll help you." Zeke comes over and grabs Tobias by the arm. He tries to pull away but Zeke doesn't budge.
"Thanks." I thank him. I take Tobias's other arm and lead him out of the room. We find the art room has no one in it so we go inside.
"I'll let you two talk." Zeke decides and leaves, closing the door behind him. Tobias sits down in a chair, crossing his arms angrily.
"What the hell was that?" I yell.
"Nothing Tris. Get over it."
"Get over it? You nearly made a huge mistake! Why are you drunk at school anyway? What were you thinking?"
"I drank because I was pissed at you but I still love you and can't stay away from you!" He blurts and I kneel against the art table to steady myself. That is the nicest thing he has ever said to me. I know he is hurt but I also know boys aren't so good at admitting their feelings. Especially not to their girlfriends.
"Say something please." He whines and I can see he is beginning to slowly sober.
"I don't know what to say." I admit.
"Anything. Please."
"My dad approves of us after what you did."
"And what do you think I did?"
"Tried to save me."
"Actually I went through hell."
"I know."
"No you don't."
"We need to talk about this."
"No we don't. We need to talk about Leighton. Tris do you still love him?" He asks sternly. I don't know the answer to that question yet. Yes Leighton had a big impact on my life but Tobias has been the best thing that has ever happened to me and I haven't been very good at showing that.
"A bit."
"Who do you love more?"
"You." I see the relief in his eyes. "Do you think you could ever forgive me?"
"How can I forgive you when you haven't even apologized?" He raises an eyebrow. I had totally forgotten about that.
"Sorry." A smile curves his lips and it makes me feel warmer. "I love you."
"Come here." He gestures. I sit on his lap and he holds me for the whole period.