Segment 23

My father's face is full of surprise and not anger. I just stare at Tobias though, in fear of looking at my dad.
"You left your wallet." Tobias passes me my wallet and I take it. Behind him I can see my father's face, full of anger that I lied to him.
"You were here with a boy!" My father yells now and some passersby stare at him.
"Dad it's not what it looks like..."
"You! Are you her boyfriend?" My father points at Tobias. I silently pray he will say no but of course he says yes. I know exactly what my father is thinking. He thinks it's happening all over again. He thinks wrong though. Tobias may look like Leighton but he is nothing like him. My father eyes Tobias off and I am frozen to my spot.
"Beatrice get in the car." My father orders.
"No."
"Now!" My father screams and I quickly climb into the car. I watch as my father and Tobias's mouths move although I can't hear their conversation. I stiffen when I see Tobias and my dad both climb int he car.
"What are you doing?" I whisper as Tobias climbs into the sear next to me.
"You're dad invited me to dinner." He explains quietly. I can't believe it. Tobias is now going to have dinner with my family. My judge mental family who judge books by their covers. If only they knew Tobias. He is nothing like Leighton. I'm not going back to the way I used to be ever again. I wish they could trust me with that.
"Are you mad?" He whispers.
"No." I am not lying. I really am not mad at him. I'm just scared of what is going to happen at my house. He will end up hating me or my family will end up hating him. I'm so scared and worried. I won't let my family do this.
I relax as I feel Tobias's hand on my thigh and I place my hand on top of his. When I arrive at my house I can see Tobias try to hide his shock. My house is big and my parents are rich. That's why they always want me to be as perfect as them and my brother, so that I can continue the family business. But I want nothing to do with the family business. I don't see why Caleb can't run it himself. He is after all the perfect child so why do they always nag me about it?
As we exit the car my father and Tobias both keep quiet until we come inside. Tobias's hand slides into mine and I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding. My mother's shock is clear when Tobias walks into the kitchen and she stares at our joint hands.
"I invited Beatrice's new boyfriend over for dinner." My father says, a bit too harshly. My mother just nods and I know straight away she thinks the same of Tobias that my father did. Why do they have to be so judge mental? Because they don't trust me. Not after my past. We stand in an awkward silence while mum finishes cooking and I shift my feet.
"Hello." Caleb comes in with a warm smile and shakes Tobias's name. I am thankful for his presence.
"Hey. I'm Four."
"What a funny name. I'm Caleb. Come I will take you to the table. Dinner will be ready any moment." My brother leads us to the dining room where we takes our seats. The table is decorated as usual and the chandelier above sparkles. This all seems a bit much for Tobias. He never knew how rich my family was and I stiffle a quiet giggle.
My mother serves roast, pork, potatoes and vegetables with gravy. This is the normal meal in my household but to Tobias it must seem like a banquet. My mother always makes too much food and we always have leftovers.
"I hope your hungry Four." My mother tries to smile but it comes out all weird and she looks like she's in pain.
"Yes thank you. I am. Bon appetite." He begins to fill my plate and then his own, my parents watching every move he makes. This is starting to get difficult for him. I can tell by the sweat begin to drip from his forehead. Tobias is trying to be as polite as possible but my parents won't even give him a chance. I feel my cheeks hot with anger towards them.
We dig into our meals and the whole family and Tobias clean their plates. As expected, there is left over pork and potatoes.
"So Tobias, tell us a bit about yourself." My father prompts.
"Well I grew up in America but moved to Afghanistan when my mother left us. My father was a soldier there but I decided to move back here and now I live in a small apartment and I work six days a week." He explains. I notice how he leaves out how his father abused him and he changed his identity.
"All by yourself? But how can you possibly pay for everything? What is your job?" As usual my mother piles on the questions.
"Well the pay is difficult but I survive. I'm really lucky I guess. I work in a restaurant. I'm a chef." Tobias never told me that. Out of everything I never thought cooking would be his job! I wonder what things he can cook.
Caleb cleans the table and Tobias helps him. Caleb is excused at it is just my parents, Tobias and I.
"Well Nathalie and I have come to an agreement Four." My father announces. "We approve of you and feel you would be good for Tris."
My heart warms with happiness.
"However..." And now my heart drops.