No. 10

"I don't think I can do that again," Emmeline said as Ora was leant over her History of Magic textbook, "Being nice was tiring."

"It was hilarious though... 'just being', where did that come from?" Ora laughed, "You don't have to be nice, he caught on very fast that we were mocking him so you can go back to hating him."

"I never stopped," Emmeline laughed, "Hopefully he's pissed now so  he'll leave me alone."

"I think it's actually made him even more determined but I'll talk to him," Ora replied, briefly glancing up from her book and pushing her hair behind her back, "Does Mary know about any of this?"

Emmeline shook her head, "Nah, we haven't spoken about it in a few days, she still thinks I lied about the dorm by accident so I reckon I could get her to tell me some more, if you wanted. I don't really want to though, I feel like he'd just use it as an excuse to talk to me again. I don't get how you've managed to put up with his annoying arse this long. "

"It's only been a week or so."

"It's been intense. I've known him a few days and he's already exhausting," Emmeline replied, "I just hope he stops soon. You told him nothing was ever going to happen right?"

Ora nodded, "Yeahbut he said he'd still try. I think it's more to piss me off though because we laughed at him."

"I don't like this," Emmeline replied.

"If it will make you feel better, I can add something into the contract about him not talking to you."

"I guess," Emmeline shrugged, "He does weirdly seem to listen to that. I know he'll get bored soon but it's making me feel kind of uncomfortable. Besides, you like him, it's annoying for everyone."

"I'm fine," Ora replied which was a little lie, "Don't worry about me."

"It seems like it would be awfully useful to him if he had me on his side, I don't think he actually likes me," Emmeline said, "Maybe if you just stay close to me when he'd around, he'd flirt with you instead. Even if he is trying to seduce me for his own reasons, he'd probably much rather flirt with someone who actually flirts back, you know?"

"Yeah," Ora nodded, getting back to her work. Emmeline sat up slightly, craning her neck to see what Ora is working on.

"Is that to do with your contract?"

"Nah, History of Magic. Professor Binns is keeping an eye on me after the last test so I need to do well in this topic. It's the Goblin Revolts, there were so many I keep getting confused."

"Do you want me to test you?" Emmeline offered.

"Nah, I know you hate that, you said it bores you," Ora said with a grin, "I'll be okay, I just need to get on with it - "

"Ora?" The two girls turned the door to see one of their dorm-mates, standing there a brown envelope in her hands, "This was left outside the dorm for you."

Ora and Emmeline exchanged a slightly concerned look as Ora tentatively stood up, taking the envelope out of her friend's hands, "Thanks, Sarah... do you have any idea who left it?"

"There was no note or anything," Sarah replied with a shrug, "Sorry."

"No worries, thanks for delivering it," Ora said, waiting until Sarah was gone to continue, "Emmeline, it's from him, isn't it. He said his plans would be magnificent... this could be the promised magnificence. I'm going to open it - "

"No, don't!" Emmeline said, snatching it out of her friend's arms, "What if it's enchanted or something? He's probably still pissed about the tickling hex, what if it's cursed? We should take it to Professor Flitwick first, to check."