|1|

"Alpha, a wolf just crossed the eastern border."

"Tail him."

"Yes. The border guards are already on it," the second in command stated firmly.

"Good."

"Do you want them to kill him?"

"No, bring him here," the Alpha stared out the window at the swirling drifts of snow that fell upon the pine forest just beyond the pack residence, then said, "I'll kill him myself."

"Yes Alpha," the guards bowed out of the room and went to obey the orders. They always obeyed the Alpha.
____

He ran fast, ducking and weaving between the trees, yet the guards gained on him. They were well trained, smart, grouping then splitting up to herd him to an impasse. Just like he'd anticipated. He threw a look over his shoulder, saw them snarling and snapping their jaws, and nearly laughed at their predictability. The sound came out a guttural growl, echoing and bouncing back from the trees, and only angered the other wolves further.

They soon caught up to him and leapt on him, tackling him to the dirt and cold leaves. They sprawled in the muddy dirt, and two big wolves pinned him down. His breath came out hot in the frosty air as his snout pressed into the mud.

"Shift!" a guard ordered. A woman. With long black hair and a fierce gaze, she stood tall and straight with legs apart and arms crossed over her chest. The fur on the collar of her black leather jacket reminded him of a skunk.

He just growled, and she took a step closer, the two guards pressing down on his back. He rolled his eyes then shifted, standing to his feet when the guards eased up on the pressure.

"Move it, dirty mongrel," the woman gave him a push in a direction he guessed was the pack house.

"Don't talk to me like that. Don't you know who I am?" he yanked himself free from her firm grip on his shoulder.

She stared at him with narrowed eyes, then they widened. Of course, it would be harder to recognise him with the messy hair and scraggly beard. He hoped to get cleaned up soon, however.

Her frown soon turned into a smirk and she shared a quick look with the other guards around her. "So sorry, Alpha, did I hurt you?" She mocked before pushing him roughly again. The others laughed.

"Take me to your alpha," he ignored her jibe and spoke through clenched teeth.

"You're in luck. We already are. Ordinarily, I would've snapped your neck by now."

"Aren't you afraid of me?" he growled at the men who held his arms restrained.

"Why should we be? Our Alpha isn't afraid of anyone."

"He should be."

The woman shared another knowing glance with her men, a smirk on her otherwise beautiful and strong face. Right now he just wanted to wipe it in the dirt. All in good time, he reminded himself.

____

They soon cleared the forest, the trees growing thinner and the snow falling thicker. He wasn't cold despite the flakes that landed on his skin. He'd been through far worse.

"Drink in the sight of the countryside—it'll be your last, pretty boy," the woman said as they followed a dirt trail that soon broadened with pavers.

"Lexi, knock it off," one of the men threw her a stern look.

"Hey, why can't I have some fun?"

"We all know what happened the last time you had 'fun'," another joked.