|8|

"A large percentage of developed land that was set aside for new houses has been destroyed by the earthquake," Charles reported as they sat around the dinner table. "We were counting on that for—"

"I know," Chesca said frustratedly, stabbing a roasted potato on her plate. "You don't need to remind me. I'm working on a plan."

"What kind of plan? The only one that will work involves asking the Alpha about extending the border," Lexi gently reminded her, wary of her mood.

"It's not that simple, Lex. He's flatly refused three times, despite his territory being massive and his pack mainly full of older non-reproducing mates."

"Perhaps you should go see him again. Face-to-face communication is always more effective to producing a beneficial outcome."

"Charles, I know! But did it work the last time I went? No, he—"

"Who are we talking about?" Kaiden suddenly interrupted.

"Alpha Asa, the biggest jerk on this side of the Precipice. Oh wait, make that the second biggest," Lexi raised an eyebrow and glared pointedly at Kaiden.

"Asa?" Kaiden repeated with surprise before suppressing a laugh, which he didn't do very well.

Chesca shot him a frown. "What's so funny about that?"

"Oh nothing," he shrugged his shoulders, but the smirk was still twinkling in his eyes.

"If you know something about Alpha Asa that we should be aware of..." Charles gave him a hard look.

"Oh no, it's fine. He's always been very nice to me."

"Yeah, well, he practically laughed in Chesca's face last time, telling her—"

"Lexi, that's enough. I said to never repeat that story, remember?" Chesca interrupted the head guard.
She felt Kaiden watching her, but ignored him and continued eating. Let him think what he liked. Plenty of others did it.

"I'll go with you," the soft tone startled her as much as the words.

"Why?" She looked up at him.

He shrugged and swirled the drink around in his glass. "Like I said, he likes me. If you need land, I'll help you convince him to move the boundaries over a bit. Surely he can see the sense in that."

Chesca took a few seconds to process this before giving any indication of her thoughts.

"It could work," her beta spoke with hope in his voice.

"It's definitely worth a shot," Lexi prodded.

"Alright, I'll contact him tonight," she said slowly, then flickered her eyes up to Kaiden briefly. "Thank you," she managed to push out past her thick tongue that was refusing to say the words. Because, despite her better judgment, a part of her knew having a man there with her would validate her request. Asa might look down on her for being a female alpha, and even though she'd tried many times to reason with him, some men just didn't stuff their prejudice down their throats that easily. But she would still do all negotiating. She'd allow Kaiden to come more to humor him than rely on his help.

____

The sky paled as the sun slowly stretched and yawned above the horizon. The early birds twittered and flew amongst the trees, and the rest of the forest sat silent and pensive. Just how Chesca felt.

She threw her bag in the back seat of the SUV then climbed in the driver's seat. She drummed her fingers on the wheel, waiting for Kaiden to finish up and jump in. It would be a good three hour drive to Alpha Asa's territory, then a bit further to get to his pack house.