|38|

3273 words

Chesca rolled over, and became entangled in streams of something silky and soft. A groan escaped her lips when her back ached and her limbs felt like unresponsive jello.

With bleary eyes, she tried sitting up and found herself wrapped up in her own bed, the sheets trapping her like a warm cocoon. An amazing smell wafted through the room, and it wasn't just the Kaiden-scented sheets—although they did smell pretty good and had her wolf purring in contentment.

Had her mate slept with her last night?

The idea didn't seem to freak her out like she expected it would. Her eyes roamed the room and landed on his empty couch. Memories of the night before slowly poured back in like the dawn sunshine that tugged on the curtains. She remembered the storm, the intense pain at losing her parents even though it had happened years ago, and then the warmth and security of being in the arms of her mate. Her skin erupted in tingles just thinking about Kaiden. Where was he anyway?

Following her nose, his scent led her down to the kitchen where she found Kaiden bent over the stove. A plate of something fried sat on the bench beside him, while packets of flour, milk, fruit pieces, and eggshells littered the rest of the space.

Chesca wandered over and laid a hand tenderly on his back. "What are you doing?" she asked softly.

"Oh, good morning!" He spun around, nearly smacking her on the head with a spatula, and gave her a bright smile. "Did you sleep well?" he asked after placing a kiss on her cheek.

She smiled at the heart-warming gesture. "Very well," she pulled out a stool from the bench and took a seat, watching her mate intently as he worked in the kitchen.

"I hope you're hungry, because I made you a lot of food," Kaiden beamed and placed a plate in front of her. She couldn't help the look of surprise on her face at the delicious food he'd made. "We have fried eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes. Fresh fruit, and pancakes with blueberries and maple syrup," he said with flourish as he placed a few more bowls and saucers in front of her.

"Where's everyone else?" Chesca looked over her shoulder, expecting to see the usual morning crowd that hoarded on her kitchen to eat all her food.

"Hm?"

"I mean, for breakfast. You didn't make this all for me..."

"Actually, I did," he tried smothering a small grin on his lips. "I got rid of those hungry vultures half an hour ago. Didn't want them devouring your breakfast while you rested," he cut her off with a wink that sent her heart catapulting into overdrive.

"Really?"
He'd cooked her breakfast? He did this all for her?

"You don't like it?" a frown crept over his expression.

"No! No, I love it, thank you," and she quickly took a bite of the pancakes. They melted in her mouth. "Mmm, these are sooo good, where did you learn to cook?" Her surprise and delight at his cooking skills were genuine.

"My mom taught me," he replied and began wiping up the mess on the shelf.

She ate quietly for a few minutes, watching him work and clean up the shelves. The tight grey shirt he was wearing displayed his muscles almost perfectly, and it didn't take much imagination to appreciate his physique. The way his messy hair curled around his ears was perfect in her eyes, and the stubble on his chin looked terribly kissable.

"Enjoying the view?"

She was startled by his question, and the way his dark gaze caught her staring at him. A blush made its way to her cheeks yet she still couldn't seem to look away from him. A certain strength in her Alpha genes kept her eyes riveted to his instead of backing down in embarrassment. He was her mate after all; she had a right to admire him.