|28|

Chesca's hairstyle ^ I know it's a bit irrelevant at this point in the story, but I just like it so much ☺️ Tough and edgy, right?

Thank you to all my new followers, readers and voters!! Your support really encourages me 😌😌❤️❤️

1858 words
___
"What in the world, Kaiden??"

"I can explain! It's not what it looks like."

"Well, it better be one very good explanation. Because there's only one thing it looks like," Chesca spat over her shoulder as he followed after her. The path was dark, but her anger seemed to sharpen her Alpha vision and she kept storming towards Jackson's house. It should be just up ahead...

"Listen, there's nothing going on between me and Miranda, it ende-"

"Miranda, huh? What a gorgeous name."

The woman that had brazenly walked into their happy circle around the fire had stirred up a flame in Chesca. Her short, tight dress, the way she pushed her luscious and flowing hair over her shoulder, and her perfect hands that had touched Kaiden, Chesca's mate...  How dare she? Who did she think she was, to do that to him?

"She means nothing to me now.... Will you slow down?" Kaiden's voice drifted off, before his heavy breathing caught up again and she could smell his alluring scent as it grew stronger.

"Now? So you admit there was something in the past?" she turned and raised an eyebrow. Of course there would've been countless girlfriends in her mate's past, especially seeing as he was an Alpha, and a devastatingly beautiful one at that. But seeing the attention coming from a real woman had sent a knife in Chesca's gut. It twisted when she heard the low words that only her Alpha ears could have overheard.

"Maybe... I mean, yes, but it's over now. Completely nothing at all. I don't even know why I liked her at all," Kaiden grimaced and talked fast, raking his hand back through his hair with agitation.

Chesca suddenly pictured that woman's hands running through his hair, and she shuddered at the sickening image. "That's not the impression she gave," Chesca stared down her nose. "Looked like you two are still pretty chummy."

"We're not, I'm telling the truth."

"Forgive me for not believing you," she turned and started walking again, the moonless sky offering no light for the path ahead. At least she hoped she was still following the path. "For all I know, you could've been running from a bad relationship when you came into my territory, and your girlfriend is here to patch things up. I'm just an inconvenient bump in your road to bliss—"

"Chesca, you're nothing of the sort. I care about you, as my mate, and nothing is going to change that. No past girlfriends, no insane Alphas, or manipulative fathers. I'm living my life now, and you're a huge part of it."

"A huge part, yeah. A ticket to a free pack," she knew her words were caustic, most likely damaging the few steps forward they'd managed to take. But it didn't worry her now; she was too worked up to care about his feelings.

"Will you stop saying that?" he growled and snatched her arm. "I don't want to hurt you like that!" His brown eyes swirled with restrained anger, his jaw clenching sharply as if ready to unload it's firepower.

"Then get your hand off me," her deadly growl vibrated in the forest around them.

"Not until you believe me. Miranda means nothing to me now," he leaned closer, his hot breath fanning the tendrils of hair that had escaped her braid.

"Likely story. I saw the way you were looking at each other—"

"Just stop it, Chesca! You're being petty. I thought you'd know by now, how you mean so much to me. Do I need to kiss you again to prove it?" His low undertones bristled the fine hairs on the back of her neck, and before she could respond, he'd pulled her closer.