|10|

"I've given it lots of thought," Alpha Asa proclaimed, his voice deep and ponderous.

Just like his office, Chesca mused as she sat in the chair opposite his expansive desk. The dark grey walls were covered in a large map of all the pack territories and their boundaries, and a few minimal scenes of ocean water in gold frames. The furniture was large and practical, made of solid oak. His desk itself was uncluttered but holding just the right amount of equipment to efficiently run a pack: papers and neatly arranged stationery, a sleek Mac with its keyboard, and a couple of frames she could only assume were family portraits. Asa was that type of man, despite his dealings with her.

One wall of the office was floor to ceiling glass windows, the view of the forest and rising mountains behind very beautiful and impressive.
The three of them were sitting here finally, after a leisurely sleep-in this morning. Well, the men had slept in after talking late into the night. Chesca's mind had been going nonstop that she had eventually thrown the covers off at sometime near sunrise and gone out onto her balcony, pacing and waiting.

Asa nonchalantly threw a baseball back and forth between his large hands, studying Chesca and Kaiden as they sat in front of him. "But first, I want to talk about you."

"Me?"

"Who? Us?"

"Yes, both of you," he eyed them intently, and Chesca felt herself shrinking under his gaze. "Explain yourselves," he spoke like he was their stern father. "Why haven't you accepted each other? Why haven't you marked and mated like every sensible couple under the moon?"

"Do you know what Kaiden was planning to do to me? Do you know what he still plans to do?" she grasped at courage and remembered who she was—an Alpha, not a shrinking violet.

"I have some pretty good ideas," Asa gave her a silly grin, and Kaiden chuckled. She felt her cheeks grow warm when she realised what he was talking about; and she didn't dare look at Kaiden.

"That's—that's not what I meant," she stammered. "He wanted to kill me and take over my pack!" she leaned forward, spreading her hands on the desk. "And he still wants to take it over!"

"Oh my," Asa slightly sobered. "Yes, well that is a problem, isn't it?" he leaned back in his fancy executive chair, and Chesca got the feeling he was being sarcastic.

"To get the record straight, you nearly killed me, too," Kaiden said lazily.

"You crossed onto my territory and threatened my guards."

"I was just walking along when they gave chase, tackling me before bringing me before their almighty alpha to kill me."

"You were begging for it. I could see it in your eyes. It was either kill or be killed, so of course I was going to choose the best option for my pack," Chesca reasoned haughtily.

"Oh right, you were going to kill the Alpha of Razestone. Like that wouldn't start a pack war, would it?"

"Like you care about your pack! You deserted them," she turned to him testily.

"Guys..."

"I told you, my father kicked me out."

"Or maybe you just gave up the responsibility?"

"You have no idea what you're talking about, so I'd watch that mouth if I were y—"

"Boy, I wish I killed you when I had the chance, pack war and all. I'd much rather fight a battle than be mated to yo—"

"Guys!!" Asa clapped his hands loudly to command their attention. "We're all alphas here, so let's discuss this rationally and without tearing each other's throats out!"

They both huffed through their noses and glowered at each other before turning away silently. Chesca focused on a spot on the wall and refused to meet Asa's gaze.

"Do either of you realise the importance of finding your mate? The significance of finding your lifelong partner, your best friend, the other half of your heart you didn't realise you were missing until you found it?" Alpha Asa said with a touch of softness edging his voice.

Wow. Maybe Asa should write poetry, Chesca thought to herself. But his masterful words didn't change anything in her mind. Yes, maybe it would be nice to be with someone one day, but not a cocky jerk who thought he owned the world. She wanted someone who respected and cherished her, loved and cared about her. Not some selfish mutt who was out to take over her pack.

"That's nice, but save your sentiment for the lovesick. I don't need a mate," she flicked her braided ponytail over her shoulder.

Kaiden looked out the window and shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah. Mates might have their perks, but I hear they're more trouble than they're worth."

"You guys are morons!" Asa shook his head and looked down at them like they were rebellious teenagers, sent to the principal's office for discipline. "You don't even understand what you have! Mates are a beautiful thing—"

"How would you know?! You don't look happily mated—" Chesca stopped at the low growl that came from Asa.

She'd taken it too far and stepped over some invisible line she should've realised was there. But the argument with Kaiden had clouded her reasoning like always.

"I've waited many years for my mate. And I know she's out there somewhere...I can feel it," Asa said with all seriousness, and her heart ached to take back her callous words. "Don't mock me or my ways. And don't slap fate in the face by refusing to be together. There's a reason you're meant for each other, whether you can see it now or in a hundred years," his dark eyes blazed at them both, his righteous indignation clear on his stern face.

Chesca and Kaiden were both silent, Asa's words hanging heavily between them. Chesca pressed her lips together and lifted her chin. With a steady voice she spoke, "Can we please now discuss the border between our territories? My pack can't wait much longer for more land."

Asa looked at her for a moment before raking his fingers through his hair. "Alright, I've decided to annex to you 135 acres," he unrolled a map across his desk and she looked up at him surprised. "There'll be a few conditions."

"Of course," she breathed happily, not fazed by the secretive grin he flicked between the two of them.

For the next hour, they discussed exact border lines and Chesca's intentions for the land, Asa explaining the layout of the terrain and how it could best he used. She was grateful and eager to sign the paperwork. The sooner she sealed this contract, the better. Then she could go home and—

"So, I will give you this land if you agree to my condition," his voice cut through her thoughts as he wrapped up the negotiation, and she nodded.
"It's all yours once you accept Kaiden as your mate."

Heeeey!!! What do you think of this chapter? You reckon Chesca will agree? What is Kaiden thinking? Does he want this too? Honestly he doesn't care about her pack and probably hates her too, so what's in it for him??

What is Kaiden thinking? Does he want this too? Honestly he doesn't care about her pack and probably hates her too, so what's in it for him??

Please vote and comment, it makes my day 😊😊
❤️