|47|

I recommend hitting play on the music above, it adds another dimension to this chapter 😏
'Liberators' by Epic Score

2020 words

If it weren't for the rapid beating of her heart, almost everything within Chesca would have frozen as Elbert uttered those terrible words. The score is nearly settled...

What score? What was he talking about? What had her father done that so ticked off this cunning and manipulative man?

Jackson, get all the pups out of here! she hastily mindlinked the blonde Alpha she knew was watching her for a command.

Chesca knew more than sensed that the only way through this slight misconception would be a fight, and she didn't want the loss of anymore innocent lives resting on her shoulders. This wouldn't be just any fight, but one that involved more than a few Alphas on her beautiful territory. A territory that had seen betrayal and tragedy, loss and heartache, but also growth and hope. New beginning after a terrible ending; strength after so much weakness. But also turmoil and razor edge divisions of loyalty after Kaiden's arrival in her life. A tension between two Alphas who had struggled for domination in this small region of mountains and valleys.

Now, when their differences had finally been set aside in the name of love and mateship, a new threat had finally taken form. A threat that had hung in the background like a black pall, but now a name and face had morphed from the shadows. Had she and Kaiden merely been puppets while the real danger toyed with them right behind their backs?
Elbert.

Even as Jackson and his warriors made their way into the mass of wolves, picking up the children and hurrying into the safety of the pack residence, Elbert stood grinning like he knew something they didn't. His guards suddenly barred the entrance and shoved Jackson back, who growled and wrestled the nearest guard to his death. When Chesca demanded the guards back off to allow the children to gain safety, Elbert dropped his grin. With an impassive face, he raised his hand, and Chesca knew the time had come to really prove what she was worth.

"If you want this pack, you'll have to take it over my dead body," she growled and charged towards him.

"Gladly," he narrowed his eyes.

She ran forward until her body crashed into his, but with a simple twist and flick of his arm, she went sprawling to the ground. The animalistic growl from her mate rent the air, and was soon joined by shouts and cries as the entire square erupted in fighting. Chesca didn't have time to stand before two wolves tried pinning her down, their teeth snapping at her throat. She shifted to match them equally, and tore through their fur and veins. Jumping onto the back of the next wolf who tried taking her down, she dug in her claws and shoved him into the cold cobblestones. Another fighting pair of wolves crashed against her, but she shrugged them off and made for the nearest rogue, ending his life with a slash and tearing of flesh.

"I didn't intend for it to be this way, Chesca," Elbert's patronising voice reached her ears amidst the screams of pain and groans of death. "Too much blood for my liking. But if my son had only done what he was raised to do...."
Her eyes met his across the battlefield, as he still stood on her castle steps, his neatly pressed suit only speckled with a few drops of blood.

She knew he wanted her to ask what he meant, but she only glared at him in response.

He continued after batting away one of her warriors as though they were a pesky fly. For an aging man, he was surprisingly strong. But the grim reality was, that he was an Alpha, and she couldn't expect him to be anything less.
"All he had to do was fight for what was his," he spoke again. "An Alpha without a pack is entitled to a few, shall we say....perks."