|9|

Chesca was just being petty, she realised. Had she expected Alpha Asa to act in any other way? He was going to keep on patronising her as long as she was a female alpha, so she may as well get used to it.

Besides, she had to be nice if she still wanted him to agree to her request. Her little huff back at the door was childish, even she could admit that.

She got up off the couch and smoothed her shirt. It had been hard deciding what to wear. She wanted to impress Asa but not look like she was trying too hard. She wanted to look feminine and not like a macho tomboy, but she also didn't want to look too sweet and girly. And hot just wasn't an option. She never worked or wrangled deals like that.
So she'd paired her comfy skinny jeans with an oversized shirt, with her black leather jacket and ankle boots completing the outfit. Classy and practical.

She stepped up just as the men entered the spacious lounge, their hands gripped in an alpha shake. Kaiden was smiling and laughing at something Asa must've said, then his eyes met hers and she frowned.
"You two know each other?"

The solid and burley alpha grinned, "Sure! I've known Denny Boy ever since he was a little tyke," he clasped Kaiden's shoulder. Kaiden ruffled his hair and Chesca just stared at them, raising an eyebrow. So that's why Kaiden was eager to come with her—she vaguely remembered him saying they were friends.

"And how do you guys know each other? When did you meet?" Asa asked with genuine curiosity.

"Ahh, that's a good question. How did we meet, Chesca?" Kaiden rubbed the back of his neck.

She narrowed her eyes at him, "Do you forget so quickly, Kaiden? I believe someone was trying to steal my pack and dominion. Lucky for him I had mercy."

She left it at that, the bewildered look on Asa's face and the nervous chuckle on Kaiden's lips making her feel slightly better. Kaiden regained his composure and brought up a different topic with Asa.

"Alright, can we just talk about we came here for?" she interrupted their happy banter, annoyed that her patience was thin.

The smile slipped from Asa's face. "Fine," he pressed his lips in a straight line. "How about you two go freshen up, then we'll talk business. Your rooms are up the stairs, down the hall, and on the left."

"Thanks, man," Kaiden said jovially, but Chesca just marched upstairs.

She took a deep breath and tried to calm down. Things were just getting on her nerves and she couldn't pinpoint why. Was it the way Kaiden was so smooth about everything, and Asa was happy to see him but still thought so little of her? Next to almighty Alpha Kaiden, she must be a measly gnat in Asa's opinion. She was beginning to think it was a bad idea bringing Kaiden.

It didn't take her long to have a short nap in the massive four poster bed, then a quick shower to waken herself and feel revived after the long drive. The bathroom was even masculine, with dark tiles running up the walls of the shower that cascaded from the large waterfall head, making it feel more like a natural cave than an indoor bathroom. Even the towels were massive, all in fitting with the swarthy Alpha of this region.

She exited her room to head downstairs, and was met by loud rock music, the heavy bass reverberating through the large house. Kaiden joined her and they walked together, a grin on his face, a confused scowl on hers. They entered the lounge, and she stopped in her tracks.
There was Asa, and a group of other men, playing a bunch of instruments, the music blasting from all around them. The strong alpha was sitting behind a drum kit, his wild locks flying in the air as he pounded on the kit, his whole body playing with such enthusiasm. The others were playing hard on bass guitars and a keyboard, and Chesca stared with wide eyes. She'd never seen an Alpha so passionate about something other than their pack. She'd always known Asa was different, he was strong but just, wise and never cruel--intentionally. She still couldn't understand his habit of always refusing her requests. He was well respected by his pack, and there'd never been any trouble or rebellion amongst his ranks as far as she had heard. He was the model Alpha, feared but deservedly so.