|32|

2980 words

"Chesca?!"

The deep voice that she knew all too well jerked her from the moment. Chesca stepped back, pushing on Jackson. Her eyes swivelled to Kaiden.

His appearance was hurried, as if he had just jumped out of bed, with mussed hair and a crinkled shirt wrapping around his defined muscles.
But he was clearly furious, the orbs that were once a warm brown now ablaze with such dark anger. It crashed into her like tidal waves, making her tremble and want to bury herself in a hole.

She looked away in time to see Jackson teetering on the edge of the pool. Then with a massive splash he fell into the water.

Chesca hadn't realised how close they were standing to the edge, or how hard she'd pushed him back when Kaiden caught them kissing. A nervous chuckle escaped from her lips, releasing the pent up tension.

"Were you really just kissing Jackson?" Kaiden stormed up and grabbed her arm, turning her to face him. The jealousy and spite that radiated off him scared her, but she quickly saw the funny side.

"Why, are you jealous?" yanking her arm free, she looked back at Jackson who grinned from the pool. Suddenly, the water looked more inviting than Kaiden's wrath. With a swift motion, she jumped in, disappearing beneath the ripples. Holding her breath, she watched the blurry form of Kaiden pacing back and forth on the edge like an enraged lion. It felt like five minutes later, but might only have been seconds, when two strong arms reached around her and pulled her up.

"What do you think you're doing? Trying to drown yourself?" Kaiden asked as soon as she surfaced and gasped for air. Her mate was crouched by the edge of the pool, reaching out his arms for her, and Jackson released her with concern in his blue eyes.

Not feeling any need to really explain herself, Chesca gave a glib response, "The water is so much more calm than you are right now, it was rather peaceful underneath."

Kaiden growled, shifting his focus to the male behind her. "You, Jackson, are in way over your head," he pointed his finger at the grinning Alpha. "When I get my hands on you—"

Jackson held up his hands in a show of innocence. "Me? I was just listening to Chesca talk about her problems. Which are all caused by you! So don't you dare—"

"I'm her mate! So don't think you can take advantage of h—"

"For goodness sake, Kaiden! Lay off!" Chesca splashed water up at him, annoyed with this stupid argument between the two Alphas. The anger was tangible as it rolled off her mate, causing him to physically shake. Chesca watched his clenched fists with unease, afraid he'd shift and rip someone to shreds.

Reluctantly she'd admitted to herself that spending time with Jackson alone had probably been a bad idea. Letting Jackson kiss her had been like playing with a fully loaded assault rifle. An angry and territorial Alpha male staking his claim and protecting his mate was something not to be trifled with, but Chesca refused to be intimidated by Kaiden's reaction. For her sake as well as Jackson's. "You're my mate and no one is going to come between us and change that. What happened just now was a silly mistake and nothing more. So don't get your big boy panties in a twist, and stop plotting Jackson's death. Do you want to start a war?" she tried reasoning with Kaiden, hoping her words would be enough to calm him down.
He could probably hear how annoyed and frustrated she was with him though, which wouldn't help matters any.

Kaiden removed his deadly stare from Jackson long enough to focus on her. "Get out of the pool now, Chesca. Head up to our room and get changed," he demanded in his alpha voice.

His words only served to make her more mad at him. "Why should I do what you say? You're not my Alpha. I don't need to submit—"

"No, but I'm your mate," his growl cut short her high-pitched words.