Chapter 36 - Love after marriage

"What are you doing here?" Amar asked the woman.

"I own this house." She answered. "What are you doing here?"

"Hello. I'm Prakash. I talked to your father yesterday. You agreed to allow us visit this place." Prakash reminded her.

"You are not allowed. Go away. This is not an inn that allows all sort of people." She attempted to close the door.

"We will just sit in the backyard for a few minutes and leave. It was our niece's favorite place. You promised to allow us yesterday" said Nanditha.

"That was yesterday. Before you guys insulted me. Now I break the promise." She smirked. "Next time you try to be rude to someone, just make sure you don't need them later."

"We didn't do it on purpose. We were just concerned about the girl" said Amar.

"I may reconsider if you apologize." She gazed at Amar, top to bottom,  checking him out. Amar was used to such looks. He ignored her gaze. But he noticed that Vennela felt uncomfortable.

"Stop looking at him as if he is something to eat. It's creepy" said Vennela.

Amar wanted to get away from that woman's sight as quickly as possible. He almost apologized when Vennela stopped him. "No Amar. You haven't done anything wrong. You don't have to apologize."

"But Vennela --"

"No. I don't want to see my husband being insulted." She turned towards the woman. "First thing, we weren't rude. You were. You ruined the child's dress and insulted her. Second thing, even if I knew who you were, I would have reacted similarly. Because you ill-treated a child, which is something I cannot tolerate."

"Anything else, your highness?" She mocked Vennela.

"Yes. There's one more thing. Don't chop trees. Remember, you live in Kerala which is God's own country." Vennela joined her palms in a formal namaste and left. 

"Sorry. I shouldn't have brought you here" said Prakash.

"No. At least I got to see Kochi after so many years" said Vennela.

They went back to their residence. Nanditha promised to take Vennela for sightseeing the following day. Vennela wanted to talk to Amar. But he was busy talking to Karthik. He ended the call after half an hour.

"Important work?"asked Vennela.

"Something like that" said Amar, not meeting her eyes.

"Let's go back home if you are busy." Vennela suggested.

"No. We have to stay" said Amar firmly.

"Are you sure?"

He nodded and switched on the TV. Vennela drifted to sleep in a few minutes. She woke up for dinner and slept again.

She woke up the next morning to see Amar doing one-arm push ups. She saw his dumbbells, lying on the floor, beside him. "You brought your dumbbells to Kerala?" She asked incredulously.

"No. I bought them from a sports shop here." He said. "Oh! No. I lost the count of push ups."

"62" said Vennela.

"Right" He continued.

"Why didn't you buy a punching bag?" Vennela talked intentionally to irritate him.

"That would have disturbed your sleep. What's the count now?" He looked at her.

"67" She giggled. "Why are you such a morning person? How much time do you usually spend on your work out? " She disturbed him again.