Chapter 42 - Businessperson of the year

"Amar! Why didn't you tell me? You got an award. Oh my God! Not just any award. Businessperson of the year." Vennela's joy knew no bounds.

"I was about to tell you" said Amar. "Now put that phone aside and have your lunch." Amar snatched her phone away.

"Give it back. You won such a prestigious award. I have to read what each and every news portal says about it." Vennela took her phone back.

"Two times in a row. Congrats bro." Anirudh exchanged fist bump with Amar.

"When is the presentation ceremony?" Vennela asked Amar.

"Tomorrow night." Amar didn't look interested. "I will ask Karthik to go on my behalf and collect the award."

"Why? Why aren't you going?" Vennela stopped reading the news and looked at him.

"It will take more than three hours. You will be tired." Amar didn't want to strain her.

"Then go alone. Please attend it." Vennela didn't want him to miss such a prestigious event.

"I can't. I don't want to go without you" said Amar.

"If that is that case, then I will come with you." Vennela announced.

"But you are not strong enough to attend a three-hour long event."

"You have no idea how strong I am. I will manage." Vennela assured him.

"Okay. But if you feel uncomfortable during the event do not hesitate to tell me." Amar agreed to go.

"Okay. Now go and prepare a nice speech while I prepare some sweets. No, don't stop me. I'm very happy today." Vennela entered the kitchen after many weeks. Anirudh immediately called his team to put the news on social media. He was busy telling anyone who would listen, that his Amar anna won the award second time in a row.

Amar sat alone for a long time. He remembered how happy he was the previous year when he got the award. But this time, he wasn't equally happy. He didn't understand why. He felt he didn't deserve the award.

The next morning when he woke up, he found Vennela reading an old magazine that featured him on the front page.

"I love this interview of yours. I remember how excited I was last year to know that the MD of my company has won the award. There will be more such interviews this year. Won't they?"

"Yes" Amar looked disinterested.

"Let's be there by 6.30 pm. That way you can answer all the media questions." Vennela was excited.

"I already told you. We won't be staying there for more than three hours. I'll ask the media to copy and paste the previous year's interviews" said Amar.

Vennela laughed. "Lazy boy." She knew something was bothering him. "You don't look happy." She remarked.

"Nothing like that Vennela." He said. "I repeat, even if you feel slightly uncomfortable, do tell me."

Vennela nodded.

She chose a simple dress for the event. "How do I look?" She asked Amar.

"Beautiful as always" Amar gave her a rose flower.

They reached the hotel. Vennela walked with the help of crutches. Amar walked beside her very slowly. He wanted to enter the hall along with his wife. The in-charge showed them the table reserved for them. Amar and Anirudh, who were used to such events, started talking to each other.

Vennela looked around. There were many famous business personalities whom she has only seen on TV and newspapers. She observed that all the women were wearing glittery and expensive clothes. She looked at herself. Her outfit looked plain compared to them. Had she been unmarried, she wouldn't have bothered. But, now that she is married to a famous man, she felt that she should have taken additional effort in getting ready. Two of her biggest principles were in conflict. One, to be herself and not to change for anyone. Two, protect Amar's reputation.