Chapter 49 - Punished for crime never committed

Vennela looked at Amar and the beauty he was talking about. "Amar" she whispered. "It's beautiful."

"I knew you would like it" said Amar, looking at his beautiful new bike proudly. "I love it." He caressed the bike as if it were a human being.

Vennela cleared her throat. "We all know bikes are your first love. But I should be the only girl who would sit behind you on your bike." She brought a coconut and broke it in front of the new bike as per tradition and circled a plate of sacred lamp around it.

"Let's go then" said Amar.

"Okay. I understand you two should go first. But promise me. I will get to go on a long drive after you return." Anirudh demanded.

"I need permission from the elders. I'll come if they allow." Vennela took Amar inside.

Amar greeted everyone. He asked for permission. Prakash seemed to be displeased for some reason. "She's your wife. Why do you need my permission?"

Narayana sent Prakash away making an excuse. "Sorry Amar. He is under tremendous pressure. Ignore him."

"Anything wrong?" asked Amar.

"Long story. In our company, our family holds seventy one percent of shares out of which eleven percent belong to my younger brother. We don't, er, get along well. Last week we had a disagreement about a new venture which led to a quarrel. Now my brother threatened to sell all his shares to someone else. Eleven percent is very huge. It will affect our stock prices." Narayana explained.

"Who would buy those many shares even if he sells?" asked Amar.

"He is in talks with few people. I am trying to persuade him to stop." Narayana told him.

"Even if he succeeds you still have sixty percent. You will be the chairperson" said Vennela.

"That's what I told Prakash. It will take only one or two years to stabilize the stock prices. But he didn't listen. He has always been like that. Business is one of the most important things in his life." Narayana smiled sadly.

"It's alright grandpa. Everything will be fine eventually. I just hope this won't affect his health" said Amar.

"Forget it Amar. Vennela, go and get ready."

Vennela left to change. She came back in a few minutes. Amar drove very fast. Vennela clutched him tightly. "Drive a bit slower."

"If I slow down, you won't hold me." Amar remarked.

"I don't want another accident" said Vennela.

Amar stopped the bike. "Out of petrol?" asked Vennela.

He didn't answer. He spoke after a few minutes. "Maybe we should go back."

It then occurred to Vennela that her words reminded him of that night. "I didn't mean to hurt you. It was a very stupid thing to say. I'm sorry. Start the bike."

"No. We should go back." Amar was stubborn.

"Do you know why the accident happened? It's not because of you. It's because we had a fight and wanted to end our marriage. But now we are together. And nothing can harm me as long as you are with me." Vennela caressed his face.

Amar smiled. "Okay. I'll start the bike. But promise me you won't take your hands off me."

"So greedy" Vennela held him tightly and leaned on to him. "This might sound crazy. Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Sorry. No" said Amar.

"Why?" Vennela pouted.

Amar saw her face in the mirror. She looked cute. "Girlfriends can be demanding. Wives, on the other hand, are little less demanding."