20. Desperate

*•*
Ryka's POV
*•*

   "I need all warrior wolves surrounding the border. A rogue pack has breached from the East. Assemble the squadrons, S1 in the east, S2 west, S3 north, and S4 south. S5 and warriors that are not in a squadron are to rally the Pack House, all that are not able to fight are your responsibility." Alpha Mark links.

   I throw on a shirt and shorts before jumping out my open window. I land on the ground in wolf form and sprint straight ahead. I sprint all the way to the East Border, fifteen miles from Alpha Manor. As soon as I get there, I kill as many rogues as possible. I slice their jugulars with my claws, and bite into so many necks I can't count, they just keep coming. Rogues come at me from all directions. Father and I fight back to back, so that we cover each other from all sides. I leap into the air and tackle a rogue that was about to pounce on Ray. The rogues multiply faster than we can kill them, blindly fighting just isn't working, we need a plan.

   "Chain!" I scream into the link between the wolves in S1. We fight our way until we're in a straight line. This line acts as a barrier so the rogues can only go through one way. I continue the same movements of slicing jugulars and ripping off heads. Our line holds strong, no rogues slip through at first. As soon as one rogue slips through our defenses, we know we have to change our plan.

   "Split!" Father calls. A third of the wolves back up so now there are two lines. This only seems to increase the rogue flow. We continue to battle the ever growing flow of rogues, beginning to lose hope. As our system starts to fail, a familiar white wolf jumps on a rogue, that was about to bite my throat.

   "Romeo!" Ryder orders. The Sharp Claw Warriors join with us to form a staggered block. I'm on the front line with Ryder, Father, Ray, and a few other warriors. We let the rogues we can't kill, pass to the second line. As I'm fighting, a rogue latches onto my left hind leg. I quickly kill the rogue in front of me, to fight the one on my leg. I try to twist out of his grip, but he won't budge, I trip as the rogue pulls me out of the line. Several more rogues grab onto my limbs, until I can't move at all. They drag me to the center of their forces. A pair of snapping jaws are headed straight toward my neck, I try as best I can to prepare for the attack, it never comes. A blinding light flashes, causing the rogues release me. I look up to see Avery standing over me, she drags me behind our line of warriors.

"You have powers idiot, use them!" I shift and Avery and I sprint to the middle of the fight. She uses light and sound to blind and deafen the rogues, while I put a barrier around our warriors and throw water daggers at all the rogues. The warriors start to violently shove themselves against the barrier, trying to get out. Fatigue slowly sets in, I realize I must be using too much of my power. As I begin to weaken, I hastily trap the remaining rogues in tree roots. The barrier falls, and our warriors contain the rogues. I survey the area to make sure no rogues are left. A black wolf stops me, he stands at the top of a hill. His eyes lock on mine, and I notice the red scar.

"Get out of here before I kill you." I link. He just shakes his head.

"Nice try, but it's going to take a lot more than that to kill The Shadow, pup." He sprints off, I try to go after him but Ryder's wolf stops me. I jump over him and almost make it across the border, but two arms wrap tightly around my waist, stopping me.

"Ryder let me go! I have to go after him!" I stomp on Ryder's foot and he winces.

"We have wounded warriors to attend to." He grips my hips harder as I start to smack his arms.

"That's what we have a pack doctor for! That stupid wolf is going to get away!"

"There's someone that needs you desperately. You have to go." I stop fighting and he leads me to an area full of wounded wolves. I survey them and see that no one has been seriously hurt, all except one.

"Dad!" I run over to his bleeding form lying on the ground. His hand clutches the deep gashes on his side, his breaths turn to pants as he tries to speak. He holds his unoccupied hand out to me, I take it, And hold it to my cheek, as he attempts to speak through the pain.

"I love you, Ryka. I'm so proud of you." He coughs violently.

"No, you're not dying on me! You're not allowed to. You have to stay. Please stay." I begin to sob as he shakes his head. He tucks a piece of hair behind my ear, then his body falls limp.

"Luke!" Mother yells as she collapses onto his body.

*•*•*•*•*•*
3/5/19
10/4/19