32. Like A Zombie

*•*
Lance POV
*•*

   "Now cousin, there's no need to be hostile. This is only a friendly disagreement between family. No need to get yourself involved." He waves his hand dismissively and continues to survey the battle.

   "It seems your wolves are poorly trained. They must've learned from you." He growls lowly.

   "Why aren't you in your castle? The precious king shouldn't be fighting." He grins.

   "Call off your wolves Liam." I shove him slightly.

"Oh, you don't know? My wolves are not only under my control. I have allied with Nathaniel and I am now promised to rule the kingdom after he disposes of your daughter." I growl. He lunges as I step to the side.

"Don't pick fights you won't win pup. We both know I'm stronger than you. I always have been and always will be." He shifts and tackles me to the ground. We both fall off the rock but I switch our position so he lands on the ground. I shift and pin him to the ground. He uses his hind leg to scratch my stomach. I growl and claw at his face. He scrambles out from underneath me. I lunge at him, scratching his face again. As his left eye begins to bleed, I realize I have blinded him. He roars and jumps on my back. I try to shake him off but his claws stay rooted. His weight pushes me to the ground. His jaws clamp around my neck.

   "This won't be the last you see of me." He rakes his claws down my back before jumping off and howling. He runs through the forest with his wolves following. I slowly lift myself up and walk to the infirmary.

   "Alpha King, we have captured five wolves and are talking them in for questioning." My Beta informs.

   "Ask them where Louis is and where to find the Shadow. I am currently in the infirmary." I respond.

   "Alpha King, you are going to need to stay here for the night to let your wounds heal." A female nurse explains.

"Thank you, nurse." As she leaves I make myself comfortable in bed and find a movie to watch.

   "You're really going to just sit back and relax with all this going on?" My wolf questions.

   "Ross, I will be no use anywhere else. I can barely move. I have faith in my Beta and the warriors can handle any fights. Ryka isn't awake anyways." He huffs.

   "Do you think we will find Mate?"

   "I don't know but I sure hope so. With all this going on we've been meeting so many new wolves. We have to come across our mate at some point."

   "But what if we don't get a second chance?"

   "The Goddess with not punish us. She never has before so why would she now. I'm sure there is a mate for us. We just have to wait for the right time."

*•*
Ryder's POV
*•*

"Do you know when she will wake up?" The doctor in front of me sighs.

"We think only a week but it could be more. It all depends on how long the Goddess wishes to keep her." She explains.

"Keep her? What do you mean?"

"Sometimes the Goddess brings a sleeping patient into the Goddess realm to wait it out. They are able to speak with the Goddess just as you and I are. They can not interact with us at all. And they can't come back until the Goddess sends them. They usually only remember key moments from earth and nothing from the realm when they wake. It is actually a very common occurrence."

"Will it lengthen her time away?"

"No. I must go now. Please get some sleep Ryder. I know you are worried but she is okay. Plus, she will beat your ass if she wakes up to find you acting like a zombie." I drop my head into my hands as she leaves.

"Ryka what am I supposed to do? I can't protect you. I feel so useless. All I do is let you get hurt. It breaks me to see you so weak. I haven't done my job. An Alpha should protect his pack but I have failed. I'm sorry."

"Human there is no need to apologize. She knew what she was doing. You did what you could. She stopped you. Now all we can do is be here when she wakes up." River says.

"All you did was yell at people." He growls.

"You knew my judgement was clouded. You could've stopped me but you felt the same way. Don't pin anything on me. Hypocrite."

"Shut up. What do you know? You're just an animal."

"Stupid human. Did you learn nothing? We are one in the same." He cuts the link and leaves me to my thoughts.

"Please wake up soon. I need you here." I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*

7/22/20

11/7/23