14. A Long Time Ago

*•*
Ryka's POV
*•*

   "Damn, that was a good fight. I wish I could do that." Kaiden comments.

   "Ryka, can you come train our warriors sometime?" Ryder's Father, Alpha Kyle Sharp, asks.

   "Anytime."

   "Don't think I didn't notice that special move at the end, Ry." Roxy winks as I blush. Arms wrap around my waist, along with a chin on top of my head. I relax into my best friends embrace, knowing he won't let me go.

   "What special move? I didn't see anything." Kaidens eyebrows knit together as he concentrates.

   "Don't hurt yourself, babe." The Alpha scowls as his Luna kisses his cheek.

   "Who wants breakfast?" A chorus of encouraging words cloud my hearing.

   "Waffle House?" Harley asks. We all nod in agreement, making our way to the vehicles. Packs are much like towns or cities, Alpha Black owns every business. Alpha Black also trades stocks with other packs and human corporations. I jump onto Ryder's back, in order for him to carry me to his black Chevy Silverado. My friends and I make our way to the restaurant, the adults choosing to stay home. Rap music blasts from the speakers, Ryder seamlessly hitting every note. He pulls into the parking spot seconds behind Kaiden. We shove each other as we laugh at stupid jokes.

   "When you flipped Kaid over your head though. Actually laughing my ass off." Harley doubles over as he cackles at his scowling mate.

   "No, no, the best part was when Ryder tripped Ryka. Oh my gosh I was rolling on the ground. Tears were flowing out of my eyes." I scowl at Roxy as she giggles at me. She chooses a big booth in the corner, I fall in beside her with Ryder across from me. Ryder opens his mind to me, striking up a conversation.

"You know I let you win." He smirks, knocking his knees against mine under the table.

"Aww is the little Alpha afraid to lose to a warrior?" We growl lowly at each other.

"No. I just let you win to save your pride. You know since little Ryka gets hurt when she isn't the best." I growl loudly, getting in Ryder's face.

"Fuck you Ryder." I climb over Kaiden and sprint out of the restaurant, shifting as soon as I hit the asphalt.

"Ryka! Wait!" Ryder tries to run after me, only to be stopped by Orion and Kaiden. I force him out of my mind, a loud whimper follows. As I break the tree line, an earth shaking growl sounds, followed by thundering paws heading straight for me. I sprint faster, trying to shake Ryder off my trail. He finally tackles me when I reach my secret cave. We both shift back as I throw him off of me.

"Get out Ryder, this isn't your territory."

"I'm allowed to be here if I want." He backs me into the wall of the cave, obstructing the view of the outside.

"I'm not afraid of you Ryder, back off." His arms rest on either side of my head, caging me in.

"Sweetheart, I'm not trying to scare you. I'm attempting the exact opposite." My brows furrow as I mull over his statement.

"What do you mean?" He leans in and kisses my forehead.

"I like you, Ryka."

"Well, I like you too Ryder, you're my best friend after all." I chuckle. He kisses my cheek.

"No, I like you as mates do." I gasp as his lips find the corner of my mouth.

"What are you doing?" He stares into my eyes, my heat beat skyrockets.

"Something I should've done a long time ago." His lips meet mine in a soft kiss, I don't push him away. I raise my hand to slap him, but Scarlett forces me to calmly place my hand on his cheek instead. He growls and pulls me closer as I forget to push him off. He reads my thoughts as the kiss gets slightly rougher, knowing I really don't want him to stop. I relax into the smooth kiss as I realize he's not going to let me go so soon.

   "What's going on here!?" I shove Ryder off me, only to meet the golden eyes of my father's wolf. He stalks towards Ryder, pinning him to the wall by his shirt.

   "Father stop!" He growls at me. I fight the submission and push him away from Ryder.

   "Why were you with my pup?" Ryder stumbles over his words.

   "I-I, we were just-" Father slams him into the wall again.

   "Why were you trying to mate my pup, who isn't even 16 yet? I should kill you." I growl and push my father back.

   "You are not going to touch him! He did nothing wrong! I'm strong enough to handle myself, if I wanted to push him away I would've!"

   "You're no more than a pup, and you should be treated like one." Scarlett takes over and lunges at my father, holding him to the wall.

   "We both know I'm stronger then you, Dorian. You know what's coming just as well as I. Soon, you will bow down to me. I will not submit to a whiny bitch, who has no reason to be angry. I may be your pup but you are not my father. You never were and never will be. Leave River alone, this isn't his fight. Stop pinning your mistakes on someone else. You know I can take care of myself, drop the argument and go home." Dorian whimpers, shifting and running back home. Scarlett turn to see River in control.

   "Scarlett, what's going on." She kisses his cheek.

   "You'll find out soon enough. Go back to your pack, they need their Alpha." Scarlett sprints out of the cave, shifting to her natural form. Father's scent is stale as she reaches the house, he must have set out on a run instead of returning home. She gives me control back as we enter the house. I trek up to my room and immediately fall asleep.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*

3/27/19
7/5/19