30. Nowhere At All

*•*
Rivers POV
*•*

Reluctantly I trudge to the Black Paw pack house. I plop down in the chair next to Kaiden. He growls lowly at me.

"Give Ryder control." His nasally voice speaks in my mind.

"No." We growl at each other. Our eyes lock in an unspoken challenge. His pathetic wolf bares his neck in submission after only a few seconds, forcing his humans pride away. The rest of the wolves pile in the room as we break eye contact.

"Where is he?" Kaiden asks.

"Iowa." A pack warrior responds.

"Send a team of 10 seasoned warriors to the Moonlight Pack. They leave at dawn. Meeting adjourned." Everyone begins to file out of the room, I stay rooted to my chair.

"That's all? That's all you're willing to do? If that's all you're willing to give then you don't deserve to lead!" I bare my teeth at Kaiden, practically spitting in his face.

"There's no point in giving more! I'm not letting my warriors die for something so useless!" He stands rigid. I push his shoulder back.

"Useless? Your best friend is useless? All the years she's given to you means nothing? Risking her life for you means nothing? I can't believe you would stoop so low! You're so far stuck up your mates ass that you can't do anything else! Get your head on straight, or I will challenge you for your title! You're not fit to be an Alpha." I shift to my natural form and sprint to Rykas hospital room. I bust through the door, ignoring the nurse protests. I carefully hop onto the bed and cover Ryka in a defensive stance. My body relaxes as I fall asleep to the sound of her steady heartbeat.

*•*
Ryka's POV
*•*

"Ryka wake up." Scarlett nudges my cheek with her nose. I groan as I roll away from her and stand up. I look around and find myself in a meadow with Scarlett standing next to me. I walk over to the enchanting lake and dip my toes into the water. I roll up my jeans and walk further into the calming water.

"Where are we?"I ask to no one in particular, not expecting to get a response.

"You are in the goddess realm, my child." A soft feminine voice speaks from behind me. I stand and turn to find a woman in a white dress. She seems to radiate with light and has a very calming aura.

"Why? I don't want to be here. Put me back on earth!" She rolls her eyes at my outburst.

"Your body is exhausted. Your conscious will not be able to survive there. I have to wait until your body heals to put you back. You're stuck here until then. There's nothing else I can do. It's all up to the people on Earth."

"There has to be something!" I huff and plop down on the ground again. A motherly hand pats my back, I shrug it off.

"Now, now child, don't be like that. You will reunite with your mate soon enough." My eyes widen at her remark.

"My mate? Who?" I stand and close the space between so our eyes are level and our noses are almost touching. She chuckles and backs away.

"What's the fun in telling you? It's only real if you find out yourself." She sits on the ground and dips her toes into the water. I huff and turn away.

"How are things on earth?" She beckons me with her hand.

"Come over here and I'll show you." I take a seat next to her. She closes her eyes and mutters unintelligible words. After a few seconds, the water starts rippling. A vision of Ryder appears, it's as if we're watching a television show. He sits next to a hospital bed with a girl laying on it. His shoulders are hunched and his head rests on her stomach. He rubs her knuckles with his thumb in a comforting way. I gasp as I realize who it is.

"That's me!" The door to the room busts open, Ryder takes a defensive stance over me. Kaiden walks in, followed by his Beta, Delta, and Gamma.

   "We found another possible location. Ten more warriors were sent to Montana after the other group left to go to Iowa. It's like he's everywhere at once but nowhere at all. If this keeps happening we will need some of your warriors also. I need you to contact the Werewolf King and tell him of our plans." Kaiden saunters out the door, his commanders following. Ryder huffs and grabs his phone off the table.

   "Yes, this is Alpha Ryder of the Sharp Claw Pack. I'm calling on behalf of The Shadow. We have several possible locations being searched. Ryka is currently in a coma."

*•*•*•*•*•*•*
11/25/19
12/3/21