26. The Beginning

*•*
Kaiden's POV
*•*

   As I take the first bite of my sandwich, I feel the ties of two members in my pack breaking. I fall to the floor with a groan.

   "Kaiden, baby, what's going on?" Harley asks before dropping to the floor beside me. I shift control to my wolf and let out a sorrow filled howl, my pack joining me. I push myself off the floor, stumbling into the table. My whole body is sore and I can barely stand. I help my mate get off the floor and into a chair.

   "Emergency pack meeting in the Grand Ballroom now!" The pain gradually subsides as we make our way to the ballroom. Upon seeing that all the Pack has arrived, I begin speaking.

   "As most of you know, Ryka has been taken. I have recently been notified that Luke and Maria Peterson left Black Paw territory two days ago. They have just passed away, however, Ryka is still alive. I will be contacting the Werewolf King shortly. If you have any information, notify me. You all may leave now." I grab Harley's hand a lead him to my office. He get comfortable on my lap as I phone Alpha King. His Beta pick up on the second ring, my eyebrows furrow in confusion.

   "Alpha Kaiden, What seems to me the purpose of this call?" I'm dumbfounded at the fact that Alpha King didn't answer as he always does. Harley grabs the phone and flicks the side of my head.

   "Beta Joseph, this is Luna Harley of the Black Paw Pack speaking. We are calling on the behalf of Luke, Maria, and Ryka Peterson. We have recently been informed that Luke and Maria have passed away. Do you know anything of this matter?" I snatch my cellphone from him, and put it on speaker.

   "Yes, you will have to speak to Alpha King tomorrow about that. He is in a very important meeting at the moment and isn't able to come to the phone. I can schedule you a call at 4 pm tomorrow. Does that fit in your schedule?"

   "Yes, that's fine. That you Beta Joseph."

   "It was my pleasure." He ends the call and I drop the phone on the desk with a sigh.

*•*
Ryka's POV
*•*

   "You're my, my, what? No, you can't be. How could you be? I don't remember." I fall off the bed and scoot into the corner farthest away from him. Tears fall down my face as the truth is revealed.

   "Scarlett, why didn't you tell me? You knew this whole time! I hate you! I wish we weren't bound! Do not speak to me!" I block her out as she tries to explain. I turn to Lance and see tears falling freely down his face.

   "Just start from the beginning. Tell me everything, I mean it." He takes a deep breath and gets comfortable on the bed.

   "It all started when I turned 16. My parents were hosting a ball, available to every pack in the country. Your mother arrived amongst the Red River Pack, on the west coast. As soon as she walked in, I smelled the most beautiful scent of a rose. We were mates, an Alpha King and an Omega.

   We weren't destined, however, for five years our relationship was perfect. She moved into the castle, we took our titles. Dawning on the sixth year of our relationship, you were conceived. That night, the packs decided to retaliate against the crown. The Moon Goddess came to me in a dream before the fight started. She ordered me to reject Maria, so that she would life a peaceful life, and keep you safe. The life of a Luna Queen would be to much for her, she wouldn't be able to carry the savior of the world properly. We've known since before you were born that you were destined for greatness.

   That day was the worst day of my life. I was forced to reject my mate, leave her and my unborn child to fight alone. I wish everyday that things were different. Maria was given a second chance mate, I wasn't. I'm so glad you had Luke, he was such a great father. They raised you well Ryka. I was able to see you the day you were born, she let me choose your name. You were the most precious little pup, you used to have a red stripe in your fur. I hated to leave you, but now I see that having you here would've messed up the plan for your life. I've never seen a greater warrior, you could easily beat me." I hold my hand up to stop him. I was so entranced by the story I migrated to sit beside him on the bed.

   "How does Nathaniel fall into this? Why does he keep trying to kill me?" He growls.

   "Nathaniel hates me. He's never liked me. He always thought that his daughter being forced to become queen, was wrong. That the whole idea of a monarchy ruling, was wrong. He thought I wasn't strong enough to protect her, I wasn't handsome enough, not smart enough. Nothing I did was good for him. He saw you as a demon, born of Lucifer. He hates you because you're my child. I haven't seen him in years, I thought he died. I-" Beta Joseph busts through the door, cutting him off. He's out of breath, like he's run through the whole castle.

   "Alpha King, we have a major problem. The Shadow is on his way." We stand and follow him to the office.

   "Notify all the packs, there is a war brewing. We need everyone to participate. They must send half of their warriors to the castle. Anyone with special powers must come also. Call the Vampire and Rogue Kings, we need as many people as possible. Try to get the witches on our side, we may need to use some blood magic."

   "We will win, I'm sure of it." Alpha King's phone rings, Ryder's contact pops up. I snatch the phone and hold it to my ear.

   "Alpha King, I need your help." He sound like he's been crying.

   "Ryder?" He gasps and coughs.

   "Sweetheart?" A stray tear falls down my cheek.

   "Yes, it's me. We've got no time to chit chat though. I need you to send half of your warriors to the castle. There's a war brewing and we need help, notify every pack you can. I'm coming home to you tonight, I promise. Bye, Ryder." I end the call and then see Lance and Joseph contacting packs. I join with them and begin calling all the packs I can.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*
4/6/19
5/16/20