29. Dormant

*•*
Ryder's POV
*•*

   I watch as she falls to the ground. My mind races but my body can't seem to catch up. My feet stay rooted to their spot and I can only watch as Logan crawls to her and bites her neck. A growl rips through me as I watch him forcefully mark her. Her body convulses for a few seconds before falling completely still. He stands and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. The wounds that once adorned his body, heal in a matter of seconds. I pull against the unknown force holding me back, finding it to feel as more of an embrace than a wall.

   "Power tastes good! Mmmm!" His dark tongue juts out to lick his bottom lip.

   "Human, give me control. I am stronger than you." I immediately switch control to River. He struggles for a second before leaping into Logan, shifting in mid air. I turn away as he tears Logan apart. As soon as River is finished, he takes a defensive stance over Ryka. He licks the blood off her neck and lowers his body so he covers her completely. Kaiden and several of his warriors make his way towards us. River becomes blinded with rage and takes complete control.

*•*
Rivers POV
*•*

   I let out a thundering growl as some mutts circle around me. They only seem to get even closer. I shift to my awful human form. My legs collapse as I take on my new form. Grumbling, I stand again.

   "River, let us have her." The leader says. I growl louder.

   "No, she is mine. Only I can have her. Get away from us. Before I kill you." My sentence comes out as choppy and I growl in annoyance. My voice is raspy and gruff.

   "We need to take her to the doctor."

   "Bring the stupid doctor to me. I'm not moving." The doctor makes his way into the circle.

   "Ryder you have to move." I scoff.

   "First of all, I'm River. And second, you're not getting anywhere near her. Get me a female doctor. Now." Within seconds he is replaced by a young blonde female.

   "Hi River. I'm going to need you to move beside so that I can check her." I huff and slowly move to stand beside her. The doctor pokes and prods at her before coming to a verdict. Her eyes become wide as she sees my glare.

   "What is it?" Her mouth opens and closes like a fish.

   "She could fall into a coma again if we don't get help quick enough. Its from all the stress and blood loss. I'm going to have to admit her into the hospital. You may carry her but follow me, quickly." I pick Ryka up bridal style and swiftly follow the doctor. As soon as I lay Ryka on the bed I'm pushed out of the room. I bang on the door and growl.

   "Let me in!" My fists become red and bruised.

   "River! Leave it alone. It's not going to work. Go for a run. Let off some steam." Kaiden places his hand on my shoulder. I shove it off and shift to my natural form. I lay down in front of the door. Kaiden only growls and rolls his eyes.

   "I'm not leaving her."

    "You're doing no good to either of you. There's no point in staying."

   "I'm protecting her. Now leave me alone because I'm staying with her." Kaiden huffs and walks out the door he came.

   "River, can I have control now?" My human asks.

   "No, you will leave her." I scoff.

   "I promise I won't." He begs, almost in tears.

   "You will." He becomes silent for a few seconds.

   "What if she doesn't wake up?"

   "She will."

   "But what if she doesn't?"

   "She will."

   "But-"

   "Shut up human! She is going to wake up! She has to! I'm not leaving until she does!"

   "Okay." Ryder retreats back into my mind. I can still feel him trying to take control but I push him away. I begin to notice that Scarlett isn't present. The exhaustion must have made her dormant in Rykas mind. A sorrowful howl leaves my throat as I realize my destined has once again left my side.

   "Alpha's! We've tracked down the Shadow!"
*•*
9/11/19
3/24/21