(2) Their First Meeting.

Dismay gripped Pamela with cold fingers as she recalled the instructions the Mafia had given her in a text;

"Kachemak Bay. 6:pm. COME ALONE."

Her feet felt rubbery as she made her way to the rendezvous. She had parked her car feet away and decided to ply the rest of the way on foot.

Kachemak Bay was located at the southern Cook Inlet of Homer, the small town that she and her family lived in. It was known mainly for marine activities like fishing.

As she passed through the noisy fish market, some people that knew her waved from their tents and she smiled back, hoping they wouldn't start to wonder why she wasn't with her bodyguard this time.

Her heart tightened as she remembered how devastated Philip's pregnant wife and his mother had been when the news of his death had been broken to them. The fact that it had been her fault tripled the pain. They had been given pecuniary compensation but she knew no amount of money was enough to ease the pain of losing a loved one.

She was an expert at this because she lost a loved one too, and despite the money she had, despite the support and love she would get from her town – her family being popular in Homer as they were the only ones who owned a pharmaceutical company there – despite the joy she would get from her annual charity ball to support the struggling people, she would never be compensated enough if she didn't get to say goodbye to her father.

Pamela used to love the sight of the market and the traders with their goods hung up for display. She used to love the smell of seafood mixed with the other traders selling fruits and vegetables, but today, it made her want to puke. Today, the sea air reeked of chlorine and that repulsed her. Her stomach was twisted in a very stubborn knot because she was nervous.

She wondered why the Mafia would choose this crowded and noisy place for pickup. It seemed very suspicious and that made her feel worse.

Thank God she wasn't alone.

"Can you hear me, Miss King?"

Pamela used her handkerchief to cover her mouth as though she was coughing. She might be watched by the Mafia who had given strict instructions that she came alone.

"Yes, detective. I can hear you. Can you see me?"

"Certainly. We have audio and visual. Remember, stay calm and play along. You don't want them suspecting anything. I'm really glad you called us, we've been after this drug dealer for years. He traffics arms and ammunition too."

Pamela groaned. Great. She was walking right into the arms of a hardened criminal and a fugitive. This was just great.

"Don't worry he won't hurt you. We are on the alert. We won't let him get within six feet – "

Pamela jumped as her phone rang. It was a hidden number.

"It's him." She said licking her lips nervously. Her eyes briskly scanned her surrounding. Everything seemed suspicious to her from the man cutting iced fish to the child playing barefoot. She cautiously moved to a building and hid behind it.

"What should I do?!" She cried, then smiled at a pregnant woman who was passing by with three crying children – boys precisely. The woman smiled back but Pamela had a strong feeling the woman's smile was as phony as hers.

"Pick up and play along."

She clicked the green icon to answer the call and with a trembling hand placed the phone over her ear.

"You broke our deal." Those were the only words he said before she was suddenly grabbed from behind. She tried to scream but rough and big hands were placed on her mouth, blocking her screams. She fought to wiggle free or jerk her hands and legs to get the attention of someone when a cold metal was pressed against her neck from behind. She became still instantly. Her attacker loosened up his hand from her mouth.