(7) Desire For The Devil.

Pamela's eyes filtered close. She didn't have a logical explanation but all she knew was that she was ready for whatever wanted to happen. She wanted this, whatever it was. She was ready at the moment. When morning came, she would deal with her conscience.

To her disappointment, he cleared his throat and stepped back. It was so sudden that she stumbled but regained her balance.

"W-what was that for?"

"You were about to step on another trap. Didn't you hear when I said this place is laden with them?"

"Why do you surround yourself with so much danger?"

"None of your business. What's my business however is your safety."

Pamela angled her head to the side. "I get it now. You're a protection agency. Drugs aren't profitable anymore?"

"Very funny." He said with a straight face.

She laughed, then sobered. "Devlin, please let me go."

He raised one of his finely carved brows in question. "What part of you're in danger is unclear to you?"

"I want to go home. I'm not happy here."

"You're not here for happiness. You're here for safety. If you don't want what happened tonight to repeat itself, you'd better stay."

"You took me out tonight against my will. Whatever happened is on you. You're the danger here. The one I need to protect myself from." Pamela had a feeling guns and masked men weren't the only danger she was referring to.

He didn't reply but looked her square in the eye for several seconds – several uncomfortable, nerve-racking seconds. Pamela wanted to break the eye contact, but she didn't want to appear weak or affected by it. After what happened minutes earlier, she needed to prove to him – and herself – that she was immune to him and had almost succumbed due to the beautiful night and flowers.

"I'm not the bad guy here, Pamela." He said softly.

She looked away. "I don't know what to think. I don't know if I can trust you."

"Your mom does."

She scoffed. "My mom."

"You need to give her some credit. She has done and sacrificed a lot for you."

"Including divorcing my dad?"

He shrugged. "Look, I don't know her reasons for getting a divorce but I think you should take it easy on her." he looked into her eyes, the way he seemed to do a lot recently, his gaze intent and head-on strong as he spoke softly. "She loves you."

Pamela held his gaze for a few more seconds. His eyes, lit by the bright silver of the moon, were darker but still mesmerizing nonetheless. His gaze was penetrating and they prowled over her eyes as if he was searching for the answer to something that could stop the earth from moving around the sun.

Once again, she broke the gaze, but only when three of his men passed by. They stayed and greeted.

"How's Savas doing?" He asked one of them.

"Bad, I'm afraid. The vet is going to be here tomorrow but I'm sure he'll make the same prognosis that I have. He might have to be put to sleep in the long run."

Pamela could guess that they were talking about an animal but by the crestfallen look on Devlin's face, one would think it was a human. Not that he'd proven he cared about humans anyway. He didn't cease to surprise her each day, from stroking a cat to feeling downtrodden about his sick pet. Was he really the bad, evil Mafia boss she'd heard about?