(11) The Break Up.

Ps: the picture is Fatimah.

"Don't cry when the sun is gone because the tears won't let you see the stars."

-Violeta Para.

"Pamela!" Marcel exclaimed when he saw her walking up the front porch. "I was about to come to get you."

She gave him a polite smile. "Thank you."

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, Marcel. I'm fine."

He studied her for a moment. "No, you're not."

She sighed loudly, irritated. "I'm fine, Marcel, thank you."

He fell quiet and Pamela realized she had yelled.

"I'm sorry, it's just -"

"It's okay, I understand." He said smiling. "It can't be easy burying your dad."

She nodded and swallowed aloud. Yes, her dad was part but a certain someone was the real reason she was feeling depressed all of a sudden.

He moved toward her and gave her a warm hug. "If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call me."

Pamela smiled. "I won't, I promise."

He smiled back at her. "Let's go inside." He took her hands and she let him lead her in.

Inside, guests were seated in groups, some were standing by the fireplace, some were at the dining table, some at the window, all talking about the great Robert Hadlee King.

"Pamela dear!" someone called for her. She went over to meet the woman.

"How are you doing dear? Your father was a great man. He will be missed."

"Thank you, Mrs. Jones, I appreciate it."

"He sponsored my kids through college." Another said. "Oh, we lost a gem."

Pamela's throat tightened. "Yes, Mrs. Sharon. We did."

"I'm so sorry for your loss dear. I don't know how to console you."

Pamela wanted to burst into tears as people kept walking up to her and eulogizing her father. As if sensing her dismay, Marcel walked up to her and took her by the hand.

"I'm sorry, I have to borrow Pamela for a moment." He led her upstairs to the solace of her room. "What would you like to drink?"

"Something cold." She said sitting on her bed, glad to be away from the people offering condolences.

He disappeared out to the door to go get her what she requested. In less than a minute, he was back with a bottle of soda.

"Thank you." She said accepting it.

"You looked miserable in there."

"You have no idea."

It was silent for a while. Then Pamela realized they were alone for the first time since they had broken up. Marcel had always understood her right from the outset, he had been sweet and loving and had been perfect for her. Why her dad forbade their relationship, she never understood.

"So -"

"Now -"

They both said at the same time and laughed.

"You first." He said.

"No, you first."

"It's always ladies first."