(27) Where Is Bull?

Devlin wrinkled his nose at the putrid smell of the cell he was in. He was at his other safe house and was doing what he and Cody had planned: get Bull's hideout, and the only way they could do this was to torture Bruce, the guy they had captured.

He never did his dirty work himself, but it was high time he did because it seemed his boys were using a soft hand as Bruce refused to break.

"I don't know the safe house." The battered Bruce who was chained to the ceiling said for the umpty-umpth time. Devlin grimaced. He was getting tired of that line.

He backhanded him across the face with such force that Bruce's already bleeding nose started to bleed the more.

"I must give it to you, Bruce. You're very good at keeping secrets, and you're loyal to your boss. But trust me, YOU WILL BREAK."

Bruce chuckled, a dry throaty sound that could pass off as a hiss. "You will have to kill me first."

Devlin balled his fists. "Aren't you feeling bad? You have hurt a lot of people because of your silence. You –" He squeezed his eyes shut. "Please, Bruce. I'll let you go. Just tell me where Bull is hiding, or can we start with, who is Bull? What's his real name?"

Bruce chuckled. "Death or nothing, sucker."

"You bastard!" Devlin yelled, angrily running his fists into Bruce's guts. The latter howled in pain.

"That's enough, old man." Devlin heard Peter say from behind him. "It seems your –" He waved his hands in a way that showed he was looking for the right word.  "– tactics are not working." Peter laughed.

Devlin balled his fists. "It seems the bloody ass hole is neutral to pain."

He moved away from where Bruce hanged, taking Peter's hand with him. Devlin was grateful for the fresh air as he opened the door to the cell and stepped outside. He shut his eyes momentarily, sucking in air, letting it fill his senses.

"Okay, show's over," Peter said, sounding impatient and irritated.

Devlin glared at him. "Sometimes we have to be grateful for the little things we have."

"Like the air."

"Like the air," Devlin said closing his eyes again.

"And life."

"And life." He took a deep breath.

"And love."

"And lo–"Devlin looked at him sharply. "What the hell?"

Peter patted Devlin on the back. "I know what happened."

"Who told you?" Devlin asked frowning then groaned. "That idiot."

"Don't blame Cody, he's only being a good boy."

"I'm so going skin him alive –"

"And hang his hide on your porch, same old lines, old man, you just never change."

Devlin chuckled. "I was going to say I would feed his skin to my dogs."

Peter made a face. "Eww gross. That's disgusting."

Devlin ignored him. "Talking about my dogs, I'm really glad you took them with you before the incident. And Mia too, even though you hate her."

Peter grimaced. "Hate her? I detest her very existence. She peed all over my closet and on my shoes. When I tried to get her to leave my friggin' closet, she almost clawed my eyes out! She's a nightmare – Stop. Don't."

Devlin was laughing.

"I said stop laughing!" Peter whined.

Devlin couldn't stop. "I'm sorry I just.... can't help it." Devlin laughed harder.