(36) The 911 Call.

CALL THE COPS.

"Call the cops?" Pamela repeated her mind in a whirl.

Her head snapped to a direction where she heard a rustling sound which was just beyond her so she quickly and fearfully put the letter into her pockets with the lighter. It was high time she left. She took her phone and headed back for the car, the fluorescent glow of the torch guiding her. Her mind was in turmoil, her thoughts in upheaval because of what she had just discovered.

Call the cops?

First off, she was relieved and overjoyed that her husband hadn't deceived her. He had trusted her and that made her feel so much like an ass for doubting him. He had meant it when he said that there was a backup letter and that she was the only one he trusted. Who would have guessed that he had been speaking metaphorically? Who would have guessed that when he'd said she was the only one he trusted, he had meant that she was the only one he could trust to denote the fact that he'd used invisible ink, which had been smart of him.

As she retraced her steps to the car, she couldn't help but smile at the thought of her dad training and teaching Devlin. Her dad always wanted a son - granted, he'd loved her, but her dad had wished he'd had a boy to have a 'man-to-man' with, something she hadn't been cut out for. Devlin had been that substitute and it made her feel like she had made her dad proud by marrying him, heavens, he'd brought them together so he should be proud.

Second of all, what kind of backup plan was calling the cops? Was the battle going to be so fierce that it would take the intervention of the authorities to save them?

No, it couldn't be that. Devlin had gone, according to Peter, fully prepared and with an army that could stop a world war, so he surely didn't need the authorities' aid. So what then could it be? What if - her heart skipped and she stopped walking, trying to make sense of what just crossed her mind: What if Devlin was planning on turning himself in?

It couldn't be that - could it? Was he planning on turning himself in because he wanted to start over? Was he trying to have a 'clean slate' just to impress her and make her feel better about loving him? Oh how much she appreciated the lovely gesture, but she didn't want him to! If he went to jail now he would get life imprisonment, if not death by hanging for the numerous crimes he'd committed ranging from arson to murder to illegal arms dealing with drug trafficking.

This moment that she was overflowing with love for him was not the right time for him to play the good ol' boy because she would not be able to live without him. To even think that he thought she wouldn't accept and love him because of a lifetime of bad decisions made her mad. She had married him, blast it. Taken his last name. Exchanged rings with him. Allowed him to have carnal knowledge of her. What was more of a confirmation that she loved him to the moon and back than all that?

The rustling sounds came again and she quickened her footsteps, then sighed in relief when she spotted the car. It seemed to take forever to reach the car because of how frightened she was. A gust of wind swept through the forest and gooseflesh popped on her body, and Pamela had an eldritchly feeling that the reflex erection of hairs at the back of her neck and arms was not just caused by cold or excitement but by fear. She also couldn't quite assuage the eerie feeling that she was being watched, so when she finally got to the car, she got in and shut the door as fast as she could.

The faint smell of cigarette was still in the car and she sucked the air in to calm her nerves, not minding one bit that she was inhaling the substance she loathed so much, albeit in minute quantity. When she had gained some semblance of calmness, she realized that Peter had not yet returned. Where was he? She hoped with all her heart that he was safe. When he gets back, she would tell him about the plan. She knew that he would be very happy that their turmoil hadn't been in vain and that their hard work had paid off. When he got here, they would call 911 to ask for the cops, just as Devlin had ordered. But wasting time was dangerous, and Peter's absence was wasting time. Should she go look for him?