(22) Confessions.

The moment Devlin stepped into the bathroom, his smile disappeared.

His smile had been bogus and he hoped to hell Pamela hadn't noticed it. How could she, when she looked so happy? So...in love?

Shaking his head, he moved swiftly towards a cabinet and opened it. Behind the door of the cabinet was a pad with numbers. He quickly punched a code, looking back occasionally to see if Pamela had followed.

The pad gave a beep beep, and red lights were blinking. Devlin frowned. His heart beat quickened in fear and he hoped with all his heart that he was wrong, that the blinking red light didn't mean what it meant.

Dammit. Dammit!

He heard footsteps approaching and he stood quickly. Pamela poked her head in. She grinned brightly and innocently at him and his heart squeezed.

"Everything alright?" He asked her almost too loudly, then he lowered his voice to a sexy drawl to mask his apprehension. "Or you want to join me in the bath?"

She rolled her eyes. "You wish. I heard you swear and wanted to know if everything was alright."

He had sworn out loud?

"Uh, yes. Sure. I just...uh, can't find the toothpaste." He hated the fact that he was stammering and fidgeting. But if his suspicions turned out to be true, then he sure as hell would do a lot more than stammering. He would die.

Pamela raised a brow – a habit she must have cultivated from him – and looked pointedly and balefully behind him. His heart skipped. Had he forgotten to lock the cabinet?

He looked at what she was looking at and it was...

"Toothpaste! Wow." He laughed nervously. "Found it." He raised it in salute then grabbed a toothbrush – heavens knows who put it there, or how long it'd been there – and spread the paste on it, trying to will his shaky hands to be still.

"Are you alright, Devlin?" Her soft-spoken words made his heart jerk. He shut his eyes briefly to bury the pain and fear that was in their depths and smirked.

Another bogus gesture.

"No." He dropped the brush not giving a damn if the toothpaste smeared the cabinet and moved towards her. She started shifting back uncomfortably.

Good. He needed her out of the bathroom, and fast.

"No? What's wrong?"

"Well, for starters, I want you naked in that bath with me." He stopped moving and pointed at the large bathtub.

She moved to the door. "Thanks but, uh, no thanks." She all but ran from the bathroom.

Sighing with relief, he bolted the door and then yelled, "Then don't come knocking or I'll not let you go!" for good measure. He hoped he didn't sound too whacky.

Hell, if everything was normal he'd have made good on his promises. But things weren't normal. They were far, far from normal. He sped back to the cabinet and punched another button. A safe opened and he yanked it wide, almost unhooking it from its hinges, and brought out the wireless communication device. He turned on the shower so Pamela would not hear him. He moved to the other end of the large bathroom.

"Cody?" Static crackled. "Cody?" There was no answer. He was damned worried. That blast had scared the shit out of him.

It had sounded, so, so much, like a bomb.

A freaking bomb.

He had pretended it was nothing because he wanted to protect Pamela from any fears.